Name that radiator! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
dang, that's a clean engine bay...
steam cleanin'?
E

Psst .. you ought not take pics if you're going to leave all those hot VCR's stacked up in front like that .. *L*

Maybe the previous owner replaced the plastic capped / aluminum radiator with the OEM 93 - 94, copper/brass radiators, which are a direct bolt in replacement. I have replaced mine with a 93/94 OEM brass/copper radiator.

Also I think there was an overseas company mass producing a similar radiator of brass/copper - with very questionable quality. I'm thinking US Radiator, but I could be wrong on the name.

that looks identical to the metal ones from "radiator.com", etc. that typically had the "CSF" brand. That's what I ended up getting for my 97 and I believe the box stated it was manufactured in India or Pakistan(?). I've got no complaints as it runs much cooler with the s/c after changing out the stock one. I believe it's been hashed several times before about the seam between the plastic and metal, either at the top or bottom or both, starting to leak badly with no real option for repair. I think the 80scool Aus contingent were very negative about the stock plastic/metal combo and encouraged all metal replacements.
Mike R

While technically superior in many ways, :D the 93/94 models had a larger core but still retained the plastic top. So that's not an earlier 80 rad. Someone putting an 80 back together for sale would not likely spend the dough on a factory radiator since there are cheaper alternatives - some better alternatives.

DougM

Doug is correct, the 93-94 radiator has plastc tanks as well. Do you suspect collision repair or just a radiator replacement? The engine compartment is very clean. If the fenders and hood are original they will have tags affixed that will have the vin on them. An original hood will also have Vacuum and emissions labels on the underside (this could also be true of a replacement hood installed by a careful body shop).

The place where I bought the cruiser detailed the engine very well. Almost too well... I was told that the detailer actually used so much water that the ignition was wet and the truck wouldn't run so well after the detailing.

The "hot vcrs" are actually my new wheels for my WRX. I'm going to use the stock forged wheels for the track and use the cheap Rota wheels for the street. (That's the plan anyway) :D

Thanks all for the radiator info, thanks Dan and Doug for the earlier radiator info. My truck did have some frontal damage at some time since the hood and fenders are new as well as the grill and I'm pretty sure the headlights. I'm pretty sure the fender flares are original however.

Also I don't have the vacuum and emissions labels on the hood, which is why I bought them from you Dan :p

The place I bought the truck from bought it at auction so I really don't know the history of the truck. I do know that the 3rd row seats had wire tying them to the truck so they wouldn't get lost in transit from Las Vegas, NV to Tucson, AZ. Too bad they didn't do that to the spare since that got lost in the transit. The dealer did give me a spare, but it's on some weird steel rim.

The truck did have the user manual in a nice manual holder. In it I found a receipt for leopard print seat covers from 1997. Even has the buyers name and phone number.

I have pics of the truck at my web page.

http://homepage.mac.com/darwood/PhotoAlbum11.html

Call up the buyer and ask him or her what happened.

Derek,

I have washed my engine often and I sometimes get the distributor too wet :whoops: . I don't wash the engine unless I have my 8mm socket and extensions with me. It takes just a couple minutes to pop off the cap and dry it out. Your engine bay is remarkably clean. Clean engines are MUCH nicer to work on. In addition, leaks and the like are much easier to identify with a clean motor.

D-

[quote author=Darwood link=board=2;threadid=10416;start=msg93200#msg93200 date=1074672257]

The truck did have the user manual in a nice manual holder. In it I found a receipt for leopard print seat covers from 1997. Even has the buyers name and phone number.

[/quote]

This is why many dealers claim to have lost the owner's manual. Too much risk of information being available in there to allow you to find out about vehicle history. I would call and ask if you really want to know.

If the rad was replaced from a collision, you should have a good look underneath and see whether anything in the axle/suspension has grease pencil markings on it indicating a replacement.

Derek,

>> In it I found a receipt for leopard print seat covers from 1997. <<

You wouldn't have these laying around would you? If so, PM me, I may have a buyer for you. :D

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=10416;start=msg93429#msg93429 date=1074709833]
Derek,

>> In it I found a receipt for leopard print seat covers from 1997. <<

You wouldn't have these laying around would you? If so, PM me, I may have a buyer for you. :D

-B-
[/quote]

I could get you a Tiger with cricket bat :D

Mike

>>You wouldn't have these laying around would you? If so, PM me, I may have a buyer for you. :D<<

Sorry B, the truck only came with the receipt not the seat covers... ::)

I did check out the front axle and frame. They both have so much road oil gunk on them that they have to be original. I need a scraper to get the stuff off.

The A/C condenser looks original which is odd. I think the collision was high since the bumper also looks original given the wear on it.

curious if it looks like it had a brush guard at one time? I wonder if it did and and the BG folded back in a minor fender bender?

so steam cleaner? if so yours or somewhere else love the look of the engine bay!

andre

[quote author=floatinghat link=board=2;threadid=10416;start=msg93488#msg93488 date=1074714861]
curious if it looks like it had a brush guard at one time? I wonder if it did and and the BG folded back in a minor fender bender?
[/quote]

Good thought, I'll have to go check that out.

I like buying a rig that hasn't been steam cleaned. It makes me think they are hiding something. I want to see the leak locations, etc.

Darwood, I have that rad. The PO put it on. It is not Toyota as I broke off the drain plug and the Toyota drain plug doesn't fit. I got lucky and found a universal plug from a Ford ( i think). If I can find the package it came in I will post the #'s. When you drain it the threads get crossed very easily.

Beware that the in and out pipes where the big hoses go, bend very easily. I couldn't get the hoses off so I used a big wrench and pinched the pipes. I got the hoses to seal but I need to take the rad off and have a rad shop fix them.

HEY i see a raleigh m800 mt bike!! i have a mt300 circa 1994 myself....

doug(gotta get a post in every now and then)

Thanks Kurt for the info and warning! I guess we bastard radiator owners need to stick together :D I really would appreciate the part number.

Doug, yep that's my 2002 (I think) Raleigh. I really like the bike. I love hard tails. Unfortunately I haven't ridden it much lately. I loved riding in Flagstaff, AZ but ever since I moved to the Walnut Creek area in Northern CA I don't know where to ride. I got spoiler in Flagstaff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom