Name that costa rican cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking about renting the cruiser pictured below for a couple of weeks in Costa Rica. What, exactly, is it?
namethatcruiser.jpg

Place my bet in a HZJ-70 1HZ engine ..

x2 It looks like a post 98 70 series and will be a HZJ70

The chrome grill and wheels look the same as this 04 74 series (which has a longer rear and fold down windscreen)

1019292_2.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if you have rented before in CR. Just becareful as they can be tough on rentals, scratches dents etc...They can get ya. That being said every time we go, I drool over these vehicles. Have a great time especially if you are going during the rainy season.

J

Can you go for a rent to own plan,rent it down there but say drive it around the US for 10 years:D

Not sure if you have rented before in CR. Just becareful as they can be tough on rentals, scratches dents etc...They can get ya. That being said every time we go, I drool over these vehicles. Have a great time especially if you are going during the rainy season.

J

Beware of scams, especially by some of the smaller rental places:

Usually, there are two rates: high season and low season (rainy season). I had the owner of 4x4 Rental for $35/day all inclusive. Car rentals in Costa Rica decide to charge the high season rate well into the rainy season, way past when his web page stated the off season started. His explanation: "rentals are still going strong here in Costa Rica".

Other scam seems to be to advertise a particular vehicle at a certain price, and when you are there to pick it up, they tell you that particular vehicle is an "Upgrade" so it will cost you more.

Also, they play an insurance and exchange rate scam: They quote you $20 per day when you book and then try to hit you up for and additional $25.00 a day for insurance. If you use a US-based credit card, you may already have the insurance.

The other scam is they quote you in US dollars but bill you in Colones at an exagerated exchange rate so when you get the CC bill, you end up paying a lot more dollars.

Bottom line: know the exchange rate, bring copies of your car booking, clarify everything by email ahead of time and bring copies of the emails.

The thing that always surprises me in Costa Rica is that it seems that most of the scams are perpetuated by foreigners that have set up business in Costa Rica and not by the Costa Ricans. (my opinion)

The other scam is they quote you in US dollars but bill you in Colones at an exagerated exchange rate so when you get the CC bill, you end up paying a lot more dollars.

Come to Panamá and avoid this issue .. ;)

Come to Panamá and avoid this issue .. ;)
I did! Had to run the gauntlet of motorcycle cops just past the CR border, all trying to dip their hands into my pockets!

Get insurance. I rented a 100 series in 2003 in CR and had the front end sheered off by an 18 wheeler. Never even had to sign any thing after the wreck. The cruiser was totaled. I just walked away and that was the end of it. That 70 series you are looking to rent is never avalible when I go down there. I always have to rent the Prado, and they are bone stock and natrually aspirated. What rental car company are you talking about? I'll be down there next week and would love get a 70 instead of a 90.

That is a Gasser FZJ70 there are no Diesel Badges.

Last edited:
Guys
This looks exactly like what is branded in Colombia as a Land Cruiser 4.5. This is a wildly popular model in Colombia and Ecuador, very hearty and sturdy. Popular family 4x4.

Oh BTW I was in CR in December and rented a 4x4 and drove all over the country. Be very careful to understand all of the fine print and also be careful re: condition of the rental. The roads are fine on the highway but it seemed to me like two turns off the highway in the countryside I was either on a cratered, dirt road or fording a creek. As such the rentals take a beating.

Yeah, but we like it!! Everyday driving is an adventure!!!

we loved it too! The vehicle took a beating but we had a blast, couldn't have had more varying conditions, asphalt highways, hard pack dirt, volcanic rock mixed in dirt, water fords, mud and sandy beaches.:bounce2:

the toyota rent-a-car by the Liberia airport (daniel odobur international) usually has at least one hzj70 sitting in the lot. I've never seen a gasser 70 series here. Anywhere. I don't think Purdy (local toyota monarch) even brings the 70 series into the country with anything but the 1hz motor. But I could be wrong... it happened one other time :)

The little prados are about the same $$. If you plan to spend more time on-road, the prado might be a good decision. The suspension is lighter duty, but smoother. Many of the dirt roads in the Tamarindo/Santa Cruz/Nicoya/Nosara area are pretty washboarded by this time of year and the heavier 70-series body/suspension can shake your fillings out.

And while the NA prado is a dog, you won't often find it underpowered unless you are driving far, far faster than you should be on vacation down here. Keep in mind: you aren't in the states. You never know when a cow, pothole, drunken field worker, or family of four on a scooter might be just around the next corner. I get passed by (idiot) tourists all the time..... only to catch up with them a few miles later as they are changing a tire, or simply stuck at a temporary traffic jam caused by a bunch of school kids beating drums or something equally quaint and wonderful, but seen by the tourist as an obstacle to enjoying the place that they are in a hurry to get to ...

Sorry for the anti-tourist rant. It's Holy Week here, my town (Tamarindo) is inundated with tourists right now. Jam Packed. Most of them are from San Jose, not North America... but still left their brains at home when they went on vacation.

Sorry for the anti-tourist rant. It's Holy Week here, my town (Tamarindo) is inundated with tourists right now. Jam Packed. Most of them are from San Jose, not North America... but still left their brains at home when they went on vacation.

LOL, same here! You can sure tell Semana Santa is a Costa Rican holiday!!!

In addition, we must have received a bus load of tourists from the Castillian part of Spain. Their Spanish pronunciation is REALLY hard to understand!!!

apocalypsegrrrl:

X2 on getting something with an easier ride. At least look for a 4 door Toyota with a longer wheelbase. The Prado is foofy, but when you are on a road trip it's nice to have a plush ride over the washboard.

Rick

i have spent 6 winters in costa rica, my buddy owns the toyota dealership in the town of nosara. they rent cruisers up till last year and they changed the the prado, u dont have to be to careful there, they dont get real nitpicky about dings and scratches considering the conditions u will be driving, rent it, have fun with it and def take it on the beach if u get the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom