Name that costa rican cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

"Toyota Dealership in Nosara"..... Really?
I was pleasantly surprised to see one going in Santa Cruz (Rick, did you see that yet?!? Purdy right across form Banco Nacional! I'm so excited!)

But I didn't think Nosara had a dealership for any vehicle.

As for driving on the beach: most of the people who live down here would rather not see tourists driving on the beach except for in a very few locations where it can't be avoided (Brasilito to Playa Conchal comes to mind... the road *is* the beach). For the most part, driving on the beach is discouraged and in nearly every municipality it is very clearly illegal.

This time of year the turtle nests are in for most areas, driving over them can kill the hatchlings.

And if you want to see your credit card say "no insurance".... just tell 'em you were driving illegally.

is this what we call chat?

Nope, no dealers here, at least of the car type. Maybe he meant the rental company of the same name! They are the ones renting the 7x series.

Yeah, I saw Purdy's latest dealership in Santa Cruz. Pretty flash. Still, I don't really like the idea of giving them my money. My buddy paid like $43K for a 79 series pickup, stripped not equipped. Nice truck with a turn the knob locker system. But hell, I'd rather buy a half dozen beaters for that money...

X2 on beach driving. Coyote to Santa Teresa (the southern part of the peninsula) has the road on the beach, but make sure you got the tides right 'cause it's taken more than a few rental cars!

apocalypsegrrrl, when are you vacationing and where will you visit?

Rick

the toyota rent-a-car by the Liberia airport (daniel odobur international) usually has at least one hzj70 sitting in the lot. I've never seen a gasser 70 series here. Anywhere. I don't think Purdy (local toyota monarch) even brings the 70 series into the country with anything but the 1hz motor. But I could be wrong... it happened one other time :)

The little prados are about the same $$. If you plan to spend more time on-road, the prado might be a good decision. The suspension is lighter duty, but smoother. Many of the dirt roads in the Tamarindo/Santa Cruz/Nicoya/Nosara area are pretty washboarded by this time of year and the heavier 70-series body/suspension can shake your fillings out.

And while the NA prado is a dog, you won't often find it underpowered unless you are driving far, far faster than you should be on vacation down here. Keep in mind: you aren't in the states. You never know when a cow, pothole, drunken field worker, or family of four on a scooter might be just around the next corner. I get passed by (idiot) tourists all the time..... only to catch up with them a few miles later as they are changing a tire, or simply stuck at a temporary traffic jam caused by a bunch of school kids beating drums or something equally quaint and wonderful, but seen by the tourist as an obstacle to enjoying the place that they are in a hurry to get to ...

Sorry for the anti-tourist rant. It's Holy Week here, my town (Tamarindo) is inundated with tourists right now. Jam Packed. Most of them are from San Jose, not North America... but still left their brains at home when they went on vacation.

Thanks Sandcruiser. I used to live in Nosara. You gotta love the roads. Before I moved down there I saw your website and got some pointers from you. I now have property in Golfito and keep my BJ-40 down there. I prefer to rent a car when I go down to Paradise rather than take the Sansa flight to Golfito. All I found to rent was the 100 series (expensive) and the Prado. When I make it up your way one day, I'll look you up.:cheers:

Yes. Getting chatty...

I agree on buying @ Purdy. I've never actually bought a new car at any dealer, don't imagine I ever will. BUT! Parts are another story. Purdy Liberia did have a beautiful hzj78 troopie w/ ARB front/rear bumpers, roof rack, hilift, 285/75s, winch, and some other goodies for sale at about $45K. Expensive, but a darn nice truck!

As for rentals: About 2 years ago, I rented a 2dr prado for a few days. All-in (with my credit card carrying insurance) I think I paid about $70/day for a NA Prado (bj90? lj90?). At the time, a loaded 4runner w/ a 2.8 Turbo was about $100/day. The runner is a MUCH MUCH better vehicle for most of the roads around here, especially if you have passengers (the 2 dr prado doesn't have a real back window). The runner has a stronger motor, longer wheel base, and cushier ride. The prado is more economical on fuel, easier to park, and generally drives more like a car. The lighter-weight prado might be marginally better in some types of mud or sand. Maybe.

The beach road from Coyote to Manzanillo is beautiful The tides, dangerous. Same story for the rivers on the way to Malpais. Of course, the rivers aren't so bad right now... end of the dry season.

Nope, no dealers here, at least of the car type. Maybe he meant the rental company of the same name! They are the ones renting the 7x series.

Yeah, I saw Purdy's latest dealership in Santa Cruz. Pretty flash. Still, I don't really like the idea of giving them my money. My buddy paid like $43K for a 79 series pickup, stripped not equipped. Nice truck with a turn the knob locker system. But hell, I'd rather buy a half dozen beaters for that money...

X2 on beach driving. Coyote to Santa Teresa (the southern part of the peninsula) has the road on the beach, but make sure you got the tides right 'cause it's taken more than a few rental cars!

Rick

Get insurance. I rented a 100 series in 2003 in CR and had the front end sheered off by an 18 wheeler. Never even had to sign any thing after the wreck. The cruiser was totaled. I just walked away and that was the end of it. That 70 series you are looking to rent is never avalible when I go down there. I always have to rent the Prado, and they are bone stock and natrually aspirated. What rental car company are you talking about? I'll be down there next week and would love get a 70 instead of a 90.

I found that one by inquiring at dominical.biz. I think Orbit Costa Rica is the name of the agency. It felt a little sketch. So I wound up going with a su-suckme grand vitara, which I know is a lot sketch, but...

No, I didn't wind up with the cool 70. The car felt right, but the rental agency didn't. Maybe I'll buy one down their and drive it all the way home...

So, since I attracted so many CR insiders, I'll hit you up for some travel advice.

We went on a Dive Adventure in CR about 16 years ago, and it was a mind expanding experience. So now we're taking the kiddies back. This time we're heading south. The plan is Alajuela to Manuel Antonio to Uvita to Corcovado to San Gerardo De Dota back to Alajuela. Any recommendations?

soungs fun! Out of my normal stomping grounds so I can't offer much advice beyond: keep an eye on your valuables. Rental cars are wildly popular with petty theives. :(

Also I'd plan to hit the road from Manuel Antonio southbound as early in the AM as you can... it fills up with palm oil trucks and dust by midday (in my limited experience)

soungs fun! Out of my normal stomping grounds so I can't offer much advice beyond: keep an eye on your valuables. Rental cars are wildly popular with petty theives. :(

Also I'd plan to hit the road from Manuel Antonio southbound as early in the AM as you can... it fills up with palm oil trucks and dust by midday (in my limited experience)

Thanks for the advice, Sandcruiser. It looks like there are two routes to MA from Alajuela. Maybe one is not so busy. Any turtles left in Tamarindo?

Rick[/quote]

Rick:

We're going at Christmas time, because that's the only time I can get out of my soul crushing job. I realize I'm a tourist who can't stand tourists heading into a swarm of tourists, but we're hopping to ditch most of the irritating ones by heading south: lots of dirt roads, one lane bridges, and river crossings to keep those guys at the golf courses up north.

I meant from MA south... towards Uvita and more. I've only driven it a couple of times, but each time I ended up stuck between a few trucks headed towards the palm plantations... couldn't see far enough to pass, lots of dust. Not ideal. Best solution was to just pull over and start again after they got a few miles ahead, hoping that another convoy wasn't just behind.

Surfing Langosta the other morning I had a turtle scare the dickens out of me when it popped up about 5 ft from my right knee. He (she?) was chill... checked me out, went back down to munch some more of whatever was down there. Saw her (him?) again ten or twelve times over the next hour.

So.... yes. There are still a few turtles here. Not enough. But some. Leatherback nestings at Grande were actually up from last year. Again... not enough, but some. (which is why beach driving is discouraged).

Christmas beaches north of Manuel Antonio will be much more crowded than south, both local and foreign tourists. But you can still find nearly empty stretches of beautiful beach without looking too hard, we're not in Southern California (yet).

Thanks for the advice, Sandcruiser. It looks like there are two routes to MA from Alajuela. Maybe one is not so busy. Any turtles left in Tamarindo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom