nagging wheel alignment (car pulling to the left) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys, need some input. The car is pulling to the left when the steering wheel is centered. I took it to NTB the first time and they did an alignment and gave me an alignment report that everything was within specs. Then I drove the car only to find out it is still pulling to the left with not much difference. I took it back and made them do it again. This time, a little better (a couple of degrees difference) but it is still pulling to the left when the steering wheel is straight. I also notice they did not test drive my car after alignment. I am about to take to the stealership to get it done right, but that is assuming the NTB guys do not know what they are doing. Is there anything special about the LX470 when it comes to aligning the front wheels or just NTB not having good techs?

As stated above it could be road crown on your tires assuming they’re not new. It could also be tire pressure, brake lag, wheel bearings or torsion bars slightly uneven. After several alignments on mine and still pulling I dug in and discovered all of these things were affecting it. Is your truck stock or mildly built?

Last edited:
had my alignment done a couple months ago by a very well respected guy up my way and he said an older/used tire can certainly pull or push. switching front tires left for right on the rack and recheck numbers. test drive. wash rinse repeat.

Last edited:
I've found that the bigger the tire the more tire pressure comes into play, which makes sense.

As mentioned, wheel bearing pretension, sticky caliper, tire rotation, etc. can play a role in pulling.
Also, if the vehicle tracks straight when you let go of the steering wheel, the alignment is good but the wheel is off center, the shop didn't hook to techstream and set center.

Would help if you post your alignment sheet

Thanks everyone for your input! Much appreciated. After your input, I went ahead to increase my tire pressue to 40 psi all round, I am running Michelin Defender M/S 18s. This didnt seem to help. I do not think it is the crown of the road because I've noticed on flat road and other roads if I center the steering wheel, the car will pull to the left.

So to describe the issue a bit in detail, when I straighten the direction and take my hands off the wheels, I seems the car pulls straight. The car still pulls straight when I apply slight brake pressure. The problem is that when the Steering wheel is at 0 degrees center, this causes the car to pull to the left. If I turn the steering wheel slight right about 20 degrees, this will track the car straight. So is the issue with the steering wheel? do I have to take the steering wheel off or have the shop do it? Please see pics of my 1st and 2nd alignment below if this helps.

1st picture is the 1st alignment. 2nd picture is the second alignment.

IMG_2131_2.jpg

IMG_2133_2.jpg

Likely culprit at this point may be loose wheel bearing or dragging brake pads (sticky brake caliper piston). Also trivial to pull off DS front wheel and check that the spring tensioner clip is installed to ensure brake pads get pulled away from the brake rotor when the brakes are released.

EDIT: This assumes none of your suspension components are bent or kinked.

Last edited:
On the LX, u should have VSG or whatever it’s called...variable steering something...which I believe affects the center position. u need tech stream to change on center.

On the LX, u should have VSG or whatever it’s called...variable steering something...which I believe affects the center position. u need tech stream to change on center.

Ok, I think its VGRS ... thats a simple reset procedure to center the steering wheel and disconnect the negative terminal for a minute or so...will try that.

I'll also check brake components on the driver side.

My point above was that if the vehicle tracks straight with your hands off the wheel, (but the wheel is off center) is that it may be your steering wheel alignment. If you let go of the wheel and it pulls to the right or left still, you have something else (as detailed) going on.

Its not the alignment per say, is does not sound like the car is pulling. The steering wheel is not centered properly. If you hold the car straight while driving (do not look at the steering wheel) and it tracks straight then it's not pulling. During the alignment procedure the steering wheel must be locked at center before tie rods are adjusted. You should go back and explain that the steering wheel is off center.

If you took it to the dealer, they should have reset VGRS.

Attachments

• VGRS Reset.pdf
    61.9 KB · Views: 137
Guys, really appreciate all your help and input. @abuck99 thanks for the VGRS reset TSB. I did that today and it helped quite a bit. The steering wheel now feels a lot more centered when pointing the car straight! Thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom