Nagging items to fix on my new BJ 42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up my new 1982 BJ 42 and of course there are a few items I need to fix right away. I am in need of help since this is my very first BJ 42..

1. Oil sender bad or faulty gauge (no reading at all)
2. Brake pedal sits to high. With my winter boots I cannot reach the pedal easily
3. 24 volt system, but has different batteries in series
4. Heater is not hot. And air flow is barely noticeable at its highest settings. Need rear heater to defog windows
5. Wiper won't park correctly and no washer
6. Power steering is not OEM (will post pictures of parts)
7. Need to handle some wiring issues
8. Hazards not working.

I'm in the East coast of Canada, can I easily source parts (hoses, belts, filters, and other parts) in my neck of the woods.

The 3B pulls like a train, but I assume the gearing is low. I'm in 3rd doing about 60 km per hour.
Reminds me I need a good tach, and how do I hook up a tach on a diesel. Also need a set of seats , it has power seats ... but the seat is to tall, need a thinner manual seat with more rear movement.

This is going to be a very fun vehicle to drive.. It does not get any more to the bones as this example does.

I will start sourcing my parts and get the project moving along. I am also baselining a 1997 LC and getting her ready for expedition and off roading..

Welcome to the world of BJ42's. I'm in Nova Scotia, have owned mine since 2004 and have been in the process of building/rebuilding since then. I think I've put less than 100 km behind the wheel.

Put up some pictures of the steering. I am currently installing BJ60 series power steering (because I installed a BJ70 bellhousing behind the 3B to get a tachometer pickup). The 70 series bellhousing uses the 60 or 70 series starter which causes the starter to stick up out of the frame rail and gets in the way of the power steering box. Years ago tiny tach with some sort of pick-up was an option to get a tach on a diesel. Check the Diesel 24volt section, should be able to search for this.

Old wisdom says you should put two of the same batteries as close in manufacture date to have them last as long as possible and try not to have too many draws off one battery (recommendation is to run a 24-12 volt converter for 12 volt draws. The Diesel 24volt section is a good place to post some of these questions, or search for answers. I am converting mine to 12 volt to reduce some of these issues.

Washer feeds through tube in windshield frame (to the top), common to clog with rust, washer pump motor is 24 volt, mine was bad and I had replaced it with 2 - 12 volt pump motors in series (princess auto). I am planning to run mine to a nozzle on the hood (which is fake from factory).

Wiper motor is pretty easy to take apart and clean up, probably related to the contacts.

Welcome to the world of BJ42's. I'm in Nova Scotia, have owned mine since 2004 and have been in the process of building/rebuilding since then. I think I've put less than 100 km behind the wheel.

Put up some pictures of the steering. I am currently installing BJ60 series power steering (because I installed a BJ70 bellhousing behind the 3B to get a tachometer pickup). The 70 series bellhousing uses the 60 or 70 series starter which causes the starter to stick up out of the frame rail and gets in the way of the power steering box. Years ago tiny tach with some sort of pick-up was an option to get a tach on a diesel. Check the Diesel 24volt section, should be able to search for this.

Old wisdom says you should put two of the same batteries as close in manufacture date to have them last as long as possible and try not to have too many draws off one battery (recommendation is to run a 24-12 volt converter for 12 volt draws. The Diesel 24volt section is a good place to post some of these questions, or search for answers. I am converting mine to 12 volt to reduce some of these issues.

Washer feeds through tube in windshield frame (to the top), common to clog with rust, washer pump motor is 24 volt, mine was bad and I had replaced it with 2 - 12 volt pump motors in series (princess auto). I am planning to run mine to a nozzle on the hood (which is fake from factory).

Wiper motor is pretty easy to take apart and clean up, probably related to the contacts.

Hi Thanks for the info. I might give up on the tach , but really need to sort out my oil sender or receiver issue first. I have a manual strangle for fuel cutoff in the cab..

I will post pics when its warmer outside. Its howling and its a - minus 20 .. should be warming up by end of week .

Hard to get parts for a 24 volt diesel. Still she is a beast. Where abouts in Nova Scotia, did lots of wheelin in N.S. around Kingston

Here is a post related to oil pressure sensors incase you haven't found it: 24v oil pressure sender woes? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/24v-oil-pressure-sender-woes.789852/

There isn't much left of my pressure sender, salt caused it to disintegrate. Looks like both parts are still available.
I plan on running manual over-fuel/shut-off to eliminate the edic.

I'm on the east coast, just outside Dartmouth.

Well chased and resolved my oil pressure sender issue, faulty wire. I am running a manual shutoff, works great actually. My heater issue is a bad heater core, so the PO bypassed the water lines. Need a new core . I should be able to finish the wiring by end of April or early May. I might take a trip into NS if covid is not an issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom