n00b with another either/or question (1 Viewer)

What would you do?

• 2000 Land Cruiser

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • 2003 LX470

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the market for a new (to me) rig for overlanding. Much to the exhaustion of my spouse, I have cycled through a number of ways to go and have decided I'd like an LC100 or LX470. I have had Toyota's before and pretty much know what to expect there, but have never owned a Lexus. I've done a lot of research, generally, on both vehicles but now have a rather specific What would you do question.

I know these are highly reliable vehicles, but I am buying with the intention of putting money into repairs and upgrades for a lot of miles and adventures. We'll be adding a sleeping platform in the cabin for 2 adults and 2 dogs. Within a few hours I have a couple options:

2000 Land Cruiser. At a used dealer, says it came from Texas but they do not have service records. Body is a little banged up, but no rust, says its in good working order. 213k miles and asking $5800.

2003 LX470. Private seller, clearly babied and it and has extensive service records. Transmission has been replaced, AHS was restored to good working order by Toyota dealership. Few scuffs but overall seems to be in excellent shape. Definitely a mall crawler and has some 20" wheels that will need to go asap. 170k miles, asking $11.9k.

To me, both sound great but for different reasons which is why I am asking here! Obviously the LC leaves more room in the budget for modifications, but my only "needs" right away will be the sleeping platform/storage and a roof rack. Help me spend money!

Mulling in Minnesota,
Thanks in advance.

Big fan of the 5-speed. But...replacement? I'd look into that further...170K miles is (or should be) nothing. AHC is fantastic if properly maintained. But consider what you'd like to do with it in the future—if your plans involve lots of heavy armor it seems easier to go with a traditional suspension setup (i.e., more $$$ sunk into the LX than just the cost of armor).

Both prices seem decent, all else being equal. The 2003 is a little on the high side. I can't find either on Craigslist or AutoTrader.

People are probably going to voice their opinion on rust, once you post pictures. Being from Minnesota, it's a given, so we can't expect perfection. Ideally, if you had time and money, a flight down south would be ideal. My own opinion is that it is fine, so long as it's not bad enough for you to mitigate or impede on the repairs, or frame rot.

With either choice, be prepared to part with a couple grand a year for repairs. That was a suprise for me on my first vehicle with 4wd. But sounds like you have some experience and are okay with the extra spending.

Big fan of the 5-speed. But...replacement? I'd look into that further...170K miles is (or should be) nothing. AHC is fantastic if properly maintained. But consider what you'd like to do with it in the future—if your plans involve lots of heavy armor it seems easier to go with a traditional suspension setup (i.e., more $$$ sunk into the LX than just the cost of armor).

I thought that was pretty suspect as well. They said it was fine then it "just went out" about 15,000 miles ago. And good point about suspension — I do plan to add bumpers and skid plates eventually, so it sound like that would necessitate static suspension anyway.

Sounds like you are being careful, and have done your research. Everyone will concur that your search may take a long time. Beware of the dealers, they will charge a boatload for a good truck, or screw you on a bad truck. I saw both, and got nailed on the latter.

Given what you say the usage will be, I wouldn't take the old LC out of the picture. Frees up a lot of extra cash. And yeah, something about the tranny replacement and the goofy-a@@ 20" wheels sets off an alarm bell on the LX vehicle.

I thought that was pretty suspect as well. They said it was fine then it "just went out" about 15,000 miles ago. And good point about suspension — I do plan to add bumpers and skid plates eventually, so it sound like that would necessitate static suspension anyway.
I’d find out where they sourced the new tranny. Rebuilt or new? As for armoring up and other weight gains on AHC- there are plenty of folks with built LX470s who have kept the AHC. Just have to make other adjustments, but replacing the suspension is not necessary.

for 12k id buy coghlan designs already modified Lx470 he has for sale.
Here on the forum? I will check the classifieds...

I’d find out where they sourced the new tranny. Rebuilt or new? As for armoring up and other weight gains on AHC- there are plenty of folks with built LX470s who have kept the AHC. Just have to make other adjustments, but replacing the suspension is not necessary.
An independent mechanic installed a factory rebuilt unit. They offered to put me in touch with the shop, fwiw.

I vote for the LC since both rigs would probably require similar maintenance to make me happy. Also, having nearly 1/2 your budget available for post purchase service and modifications is great! When 100 shopping I had a $15k budget in mind, but ended up with a one owner $6k /240k miles Cruiser and couldn't be happier.

Have you checked the maintenance history for either rig on Toyota Owners or Lexus Drivers?

I vote for the LC since both rigs would probably require similar maintenance to make me happy. Also, having nearly 1/2 your budget available for post purchase service and modifications is great! When 100 shopping I had a $15k budget in mind, but ended up with a one owner $6k /240k miles Cruiser and couldn't be happier.

Have you checked the maintenance history for either rig on Toyota Owners or Lexus Drivers?
No, I have not. Thanks for mentioning that. Sounds like I am in a similar situation as you as I have earmarked $20k for a vehicle, less is better of course :) I work from home so it won't be a daily driver per se, but does need to be a secondary vehicle, trips to Home Depot, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom