n00b needs advice on fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
last summer i got a stock 63 FJ40 for $500. it needs a carb, lots of wiring work, a cage, a top and the seats need replaced. theres also a little rust in the reat at the trailer hitch. but the body is straight.

i know this is hard to answer. but is it worth building up or should i start looking for something else? i am not a master mechanic but i do enjoy working on my own rigs. i just don't want to get in over my head.

Sounds like you have yourself a fun project...

How about some pictures????

go for it, i have a 76 FJ40, and a 80 Hj45. before i got them, i used to pay for oil changes, and couldn't change a plug lead if my life depended on it.

now i've changed a head on a diesel, rebuilt a diesel fuel system, rebuilt brake systems, and am learning to rebuild diffs, and have started building stuff like bullbars etc for them.

go for it, their easy to work on, easy to learn stuff on, and you can't kill them with an axe

Keep it. Build it.
All I ever had was highschool auto and an inherent distrust for anyone other than me touching my 40. I've rebuilt Everything but the tranny now all by myself and nobody ever taught me how to do stuff. Save the bling you'd pay to have tha lube and tamper screw your junk up and buy tools like welders with the extrablg.

I'd like to see pictures, too. Do you have the stamped bezel?

You ask about building it up. If you are thinking of building a trail rig, that probably isn't the best one to start with. Later FJ40s had stronger front axles, power brakes, 4 speed transmissions, better carbs and even front disc brakes that are very handy if you're going to climb a lot of hills. If you are ready to take on a lot of modification and work, or you don't care about hard core wheeling, go for it! A body in good shape is a great place to start.

Actually, as I think about it, if all you have for rust on a '63 is that rear channel, maybe it ought to be kept as stock as possible. It will be worth a lot more that way.

not looking to do anything hardcore. just putt around town and take it up in the hills (hills not mountains) once in awhile. it wouldn't be anything my 87 toyoya mini truck couldn't handle so the FJ40 should be ok. right?

as far as stamped bezel goes, i'm confused. what are you looking for? i'll see if i can get some pics here pretty soon

The bezel is the piece that goes around both headlights. On the old ones on the wider section it will be stamped LAND CRUISER.
They are kinda rare. I've got one I've kept for a few years and just put on my 65.

'63 model year was the only one with the stamped bezel, AFAIK.

Build it, if you don't some Jack @$$ junk yardy will part it out and it'll break my heart. There's a lot you can do on these rigs with limited resources. The motors are bullet proof and easy to work on. Like above, i had half a semester of "shop" in high school. We tore a 5hp lawn mower down and put it back together. Mine never ran... but I work on my 77 FJ40 everyday and it runs like a champ. My roomy works on his 73 bronco everyday, and every other day I jump his with my 40. They're great rigs for drivin' around and even better for building off road beasts. You're obviously going to get bias opinions on this website but I think I can speak for 90% of cruiser owners when I say... KEEP IT, BUILD IT, LOVE IT!

POST PICS!!

[quote author=skiakhokie link=board=1;threadid=10465;start=msg93738#msg93738 date=1074741162]
... KEEP IT, BUILD IT, LOVE IT!
[/quote]
I agree. You won't be sorry.

Definetly GO FOR IT. Trust all of us, you will not regret it. My FJ40 was the first car Ive ever owned and although Ive had some problems, ive enjoyed every minute of it and wouldnt sell it for the world. Working on the FJ is really straight forward. Ive never been taught anything about automobiles and have done the work on mine for the past four years since I was 16 when I got it.
finding parts as well as technical help is extremely easy (as you probably know), and the resell value is great on LC's. seriously go for it

i just looked at it and it does have the stamped bezel. funny how i never noticed that before.

on a side note, how hard is it to find a hard top for that thing? what years would work? something up till 67?

I might have a line on an early top if you're in the Denver area. Check to see if it's an org. hard or softy though, that sounds like it might be a good resto, which, I think is easier than modifing and seems more like what you'd be interested in. imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom