n00b looking for advice on 100 series purchase.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been wanting a 100 series for a long time now, but I like the 80's as well. Had a 4Runner as a hauler for a while and now ready to move up.

Mainly a dog hauler as well as a trailer puller (for race car) what do I need to look for when buying say a '98 with 80k miles? Looks like TB needs to be done around 100k.. are there any common problems to look for?

What about with towing? I am assuming the towing package means the hitch receiver but does that also mean a tranny cooler or something more? For 4000lbs towing once every few months do I need to do anything special?

What about modifications, upgrades, etc? What are some of the more common ones? Air intakes? Etc?

THANKS!

Yes the towing package includes a tranny cooler. Other common item is the contact brushes on the starter go bad. On my '98 they went at about 85K miles, so you may want to know if the starter has been replaced. If not, you may be faced with that. Mine was covered under the extended warranty, but the job runs about $500 if done at the dealer.

I never towed with my '98, but I do tow a 4,000lb boat with my '04. You should have no problems.

For some reason I thought all 100's had the tranny cooler whether it had the towing package or not. Too dark out to check mine right now.

I know all the 80's had the tranny cooler (tow package), but the hitch itself was optional. I wondered if the 100 was the same, as Hoser mentioned? I know I have the tow hitch, so I can't tell...

firetruck41 said:
I know all the 80's had the tranny cooler (tow package), but the hitch itself was optional. I wondered if the 100 was the same, as Hoser mentioned? I know I have the tow hitch, so I can't tell...

I justy downloaded the "e-brochure" from the Toyota website, and it states that the transmission oil cooler is a standard option.

"Standard option?" Ain't that an oxymoron?

hoser said:
"Standard option?" Ain't that an oxymoron?
I meant to say standard feature.

firetruck41 said:

My '98 LC did not come with the towing package and has never had any sort of hitch put on it. It does indeed have a separate tranny cooler.

rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom