mystery wire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I spent some time this afternoon rewiring my back up lights. In the process, I found a red wire coming out of the harness in the same place that is an unknown. My back-up light wires are the proper color codes (lavender with red going into the switch, red with lavender going to the bulbs). The wiring harness in this location seems untouched by POs. The mystery red wire had a bullet plug on the end and it is hot when the ignition is on. Is it a plug for a transfer indicator switch?, front drive indicator light? My rear heater motor and fuel gauge wires are already connected and working so I have eliminated them.

What year vehicle are you working on?

Solid red is used for the headlight circuit on all years and models of Toyotas. It is infrequently uses on some of the smog sensor wires. There are lots of red wires with stripes of various colors, like the red with light blue on the backup lights. They do lotsa different things. Look for a stripe. If there is none it is likely an non-stock circuit.

Sorry Poser. My FJ40 is a 1976. The only red wires I saw in the Haynes diagram were the headlight and the wire to the igniter. I have looked the 5 inches of exposed wire over and cannot see any stripe. Perhaps it is some sort of add-on, but the harness looks untouched. All I know for sure is that it has power when I turn the ignition on. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom