Mystery sound is baffling me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rainman

Wondering what my next vehicle will be...
Threads
I've got a sound in my 400 that's driving me crazy. I haven't got a recording (yet) but best description is a fairly high pitch wine. Sort of a:
eeeeee eee ee ee ee e e eeeeeee

I'd swear it comes from the transmission (low and not the right in the driver's seat.) but it never changes pitch. No matter what speed. Uphill, downhill, sitting still, 20mph. If you get up to speed, the wind and other FJ40 noises over power the noise.. You also can't (apparently) hear it from outside the truck. I replaced the throwout bearing thinking that was it but nope.

Anyone ever heard something like that before? It's driving me crazy.

HELP!

1970 with a 2F and 4 speed adapted to a 3 speed t-case.

Clutch engaged or disengaged make a difference?
My new clutch was not adjusted correctly. I had a high pitched whine idling when the clutch was warm and engaged (pedal out) sitting in neutral. It went away when the clutch pedal was pushed.
I was afraid it was the input shaft bearing on the trans, but the squeal stopped when I barely pushed the clutch pedal, maybe 1/2", clutch still engaged. Checked all of the adjustments starting at the pedal and worked my way to the slave cylinder, which wasn't adjusted correctly per FSM. Properly adjusted, no more whine.

What carb? Adapter? maybe vac leak?????

Dust cover on driveshaft flange seal?

Pilot bearing? - not the same as a throwout bearing.

Check your gear oil level.

Clutch engaged or disengaged make a difference?
My new clutch was not adjusted correctly. I had a high pitched whine idling when the clutch was warm and engaged (pedal out) sitting in neutral. It went away when the clutch pedal was pushed.
I was afraid it was the input shaft bearing on the trans, but the squeal stopped when I barely pushed the clutch pedal, maybe 1/2", clutch still engaged. Checked all of the adjustments starting at the pedal and worked my way to the slave cylinder, which wasn't adjusted correctly per FSM. Properly adjusted, no more whine.
Engaged, disengaged. In gear, out of gear. Rolling, or not rolling. Never changes.

I've checked the gear oil level. It's fine.

The pilot bearing is new also. But once again, the pitch would change with speed on that too.

What the...

I'll be dipped. I found it!!!

It's the stinkin' voltage regulator. What on earth does it have that will make that sound. I tried to isolate it with a rubber mount and it still transfers into the truck. No change. Next up is ordering a new one but crap. I'm still baffled, just happy I found it.

OEM? Don’t know if they’re switching regulators, but I guess that could be switching noise amplified through the cowl. Maybe Matt @ToyotaMatt knows.

OEM? Don’t know if they’re switching regulators, but I guess that could be switching noise amplified through the cowl. Maybe Matt @ToyotaMatt knows.

It's the stinkin' voltage regulator. What on earth does it have that will make that sound. I tried to isolate it with a rubber mount and it still transfers into the truck. No change. Next up is ordering a new one but crap. I'm still baffled, just happy I found it.

i have only heard a faulty aftermarket voltage regulator mounted on the fire wall loud enough to CLICK through to the driver seat location once in my life but it indeed was just that !

so it can happen exactly like @Rainman accuratly describes above in great technical detail i may add , good show mr. rainey !

normally a Genuine NipponDenso ones are SILENT like Japanese I-BOAT dodging Depth Charges from the Royal Navy ! :D

1652726815845.png

1652726764406.png

You isolated your regulator from the body of your 40 ?!? 😲 🤔

Yep. Just tried to see if the sound wouldn't be as loud in the cabin. Cranked it back up and everything ran as it should but the noise was still loud. Well, not really loud, just loud enough to be annoying. I'll put the new one back like it's supposed to be.

It shows a grounding point in the pic so isolation for vibes wouldnt matter unless the ground is not there.

The mechanical VR is a simple electromagnetic operated switch like a solenoid valve or a buzzer. I have run across numerous bad solenoid valves in the HVAC trade that would chatter, buzz, hum or even whine. I never heard a VR do it but by its design, I am not surprised.
EDIT: I forgot to mention noisy relays & transformers as well.

The mechanical VR is a simple electromagnetic operated switch like a solenoid valve or a buzzer. I have run across numerous bad solenoid valves in the HVAC trade that would chatter, buzz, hum or even whine. I never heard a VR do it but by its design, I am not surprised.
EDIT: I forgot to mention noisy relays & transformers as well.
I am a professed electronically ignorant person. Not stupid, I just don't know anything about it. Old enough now, I don't want to start learning. Thanks for the clarity.

I’d highly recommend switching it to a solid state regulator. My ‘74 came with one and it always worked perfectly… even under the hood of a GT6… :D

One OEM VR on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom