Mystery Piece - Solved! Retaining Ring from New Harbor Freight Jack (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MemphisTLC

2005 Toyota Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
I changed my oil, attempted to Zerk the drive shaft (need to buy a better nozzle adapter) and converted my front shocks from Bilstein back to OEM over the last two days. All first for me as I learn to wrench. Other than taking way longer than I thought it ever would I found the piece below while I was cleaning up the garage. Does anyone happen to know what it is? Is it even a part to my 2005 LC? The bottom bolt on the front, left shock was difficult to remove. While I don’t remember hitting the rotor, calipers…any part of the brakes I’m worried I could have. All help is appreciated.

IMG_3950.jpeg

Looks like an aftermarket snap ring/circle clip that holds the drive shaft u-joint cap into the yoke ears.

To ease your mind a small bit, it is not part of the brakes. It is also deformed and should not be reused IMHO. Agreed, could be u joint related. Can you post it next to a coin or something that would give us a better size reference?

Looks like an aftermarket snap ring/circle clip that holds the drive shaft u-joint cap into the yoke ears.

You guys are good....I mean good. I ASSume the part you are referencing is what I highlighted below with the green circle.

I attempted to grease this area this weekend. I'll check shortly to see if I can visually find the where the missing part should go.

Followed the FSM and the many post on MUD but apparently over greased? Is this a big snafu or simply just snapping it back into place?

Toyota Land Cruiser Lexus LX470 OEM Front Driveline Universal Joint Spider SET

1685546827406.png

To ease your mind a small bit, it is not part of the brakes. It is also deformed and should not be reused IMHO. Agreed, could be u joint related. Can you post it next to a coin or something that would give us a better size reference?
For scale......

1685549534743.png

Best reverse Google image that I could find....looks fairly similar to the piece I found albeit in better shape. I haven't had time to get under the truck but is it dangerous to ride around trying to find a replacement piece?

1685549644342.png

You certainly didn’t pop that off greasing the driveshaft. If anything it was laying on your skid plate and fell on the floor when you took it off. Inspect your truck to see if you even have one missing.

You certainly didn’t pop that off greasing the driveshaft. If anything it was laying on your skid plate and fell on the floor when you took it off. Inspect your truck to see if you even have one missing.
All the “C” clips are accounted for…..any other ideas? I’m using a new Harbor Freight 3 ton jack..

All the “C” clips are accounted for…..any other ideas? I’m using a new Harbor Freight 3 ton jack..
I think you have identified the source. Double check every connection on that jack.

I had trouble with the snap ring on an HF jack and gave up and used weldment on the end of the axle shaft to keep the jack wheel from falling off. One upside to this approach is that by doing so, you won't have mystery snap rings appearing on your garage floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom