Mystery part found in 3FE oil pan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BadReligion

SILVER Star
Threads
So I am in the process of changing the oil pan gasket on my newly acquired 1990 FJ62 (pretty miserable job BTW) and this is what I found at the bottom of the oil pan when it finally decided to come off.

Truck ran just fine, and I don't see anything missing or out of the ordinary. It is the same size and thread pitch as the nuts found at the bottom of the connecting rod caps, but none of those are missing. There aren't too many other areas where this could have come from.

Any ideas? Should I be concerned?

51134679927_ae054d3f23_c.jpg

Perhaps from one of the studs that hold down the rocker assembly?

There's no passage large enough for anything that large to pass from the top end to the bottom end. So I'd carefully examine the entire bottom end if there are no nuts missing from the Main Caps. Connecting Rods or possibly the oil pump mounts. I'd say your good.
:beer: ✌️

There's no passage large enough for anything that large to pass from the top end to the bottom end. So I'd carefully examine the entire bottom end if there are no nuts missing from the Caps or possibly the oil pump mounts. I'd say your good.

That's what I am thinking. Definitely nothing missing. I did check the oil pump mounts too. Maybe a "leftover" from original assembly? Gasket looks original so I doubt anyone else has been in there yet.

There's no passage large enough for anything that large to pass from the top end to the bottom end. So I'd carefully examine the entire bottom end if there are no nuts missing from the Main Caps. Connecting Rods or possibly the oil pump mounts. I'd say your good.
You are correct, I just checked as I was sure they were large enough...

Could be a nut from one of your rod caps?

Never mind

The assembly line must have been getting lazy in 1990, I found a new never mounted rear seat back mount in the rear lower quarter panel when i pulled my 1990 FJ62 apart to paint last year. It’s a little dusty

image.jpg

The assembly line must have been getting lazy in 1990, I found a new never mounted rear seat back mount in the rear lower quarter panel when i pulled my 1990 FJ62 apart to paint last year. It’s a little dusty

View attachment 2654896
The sooner they ran out of parts, the sooner they could start building fj80s 🤣

View attachment 2654896

That or too much saki on their lunch breaks.

Oil pan is going back on now so I'm going to pretend I never saw that spare nut.

Correct. At least nothing visible or obvious from the bottom end. All rod caps have their respective 2 nuts each, and it's not from the oil pump or pick up.

stranger things have happened

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom