Mystery oil retainer? Seal? Doohickey? Front axle help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G’day

Broke my R&P a couple weeks ago, pulled my axle shafts and I’m currently rebuilding my front diff but when I pulled my drivers side shaft I found this metal “oil retainer” (I’m calling it that now, but I don’t know what it actually is) lopsided inside the axle housing behind (closer to the diff) the actual oil seal that is pressed in during a knuckle rebuild. I can remove it from the diff side but I’m perplexed on how to get a new one back in and I don’t even know what part it is. The passenger side seems to be pressed in so not sure how I can press in a part from inside the axle housing.
Attached is a picture of the lopsided “seal”.

Let me know what y’all think. Thank you.

1AE2BE06-CC60-4A56-AF08-5F353E95A8FF.jpeg

Ignore my ignant self. I learned this is called the index ring. I'm debating if it's necessary for the rig or if I can just remove it indefinitely. Anyone have experience with removing it? Worst case I just get a slide hammer and get a new one installed.

It makes insertion of the axle shaft/birfield into the diff much easier when it is present. You use that as a fulcrum to raise the tip of the axle to align with the diff. It also helps to not damage the inner axle seal garter spring while inserting the axle. There are some workarounds but given you have the diff removed its best to put the index ring back in place.

Ignore my ignant self. I learned this is called the index ring. I'm debating if it's necessary for the rig or if I can just remove it indefinitely. Anyone have experience with removing it? Worst case I just get a slide hammer and get a new one installed.
You can't buy new ones, as they are a part of the axle housing.

Clean it up, straighten it if necessary and reinstall. May consider tack welding it once in place.

I recommend installing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom