Mystery of the mirrors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
99 lx470, 202k miles and I can't figure out what has gone on with the outside mirrors, or what my next step should be.
The mirrors did not work and I bought the LX a month ago and I have been slowly trying to diagnose the issue. The mirror fuse is good and so is the cigar fuse. I disconnected the plug from the mirror switch and discovered the white wire in the number four position had been removed from the harness side of the plug and taped out of the way.
I believe that wire to be the power wire but there is no power to it with the key either off or on.
The mystery is why the wire has been removed from the plug? I have searched the archives but I can't find a wiring diagram that makes sense to me so I don't know where I should back Trace the wire to.
Any ideas on why the wire might have been unplugged or on how to restore power to the circuit?

99 lx470, 202k miles and I can't figure out what has gone on with the outside mirrors, or what my next step should be.
The mirrors did not work and I bought the LX a month ago and I have been slowly trying to diagnose the issue. The mirror fuse is good and so is the cigar fuse. I disconnected the plug from the mirror switch and discovered the white wire in the number four position had been removed from the harness side of the plug and taped out of the way.
I believe that wire to be the power wire but there is no power to it with the key either off or on.
The mystery is why the wire has been removed from the plug? I have searched the archives but I can't find a wiring diagram that makes sense to me so I don't know where I should back Trace the wire to.
Any ideas on why the wire might have been unplugged or on how to restore power to the circuit?
One more clue I forgot to mention, the cigar lighter plug in the center of the lower dash has no power. The outlet to the right does have power when the key is on.

If the wire was taped off, it may be because there's a short in the mirror housing itself, either a wire or the motor.

If the wire was taped off, it may be because there's a short in the mirror housing itself, either a wire or the motor.
Does anyone know where the white wire originates?

Does anyone know where the white wire originates?
The EWD is available at https://lc100e.github.io/manual/. Here’s the mirror diagram, it looks like there’s only power to the white wire when the mirror switch is activated.
6BD9E39E-23D1-49CD-85CE-3909373C70BE.png

Well now we're making progress! But I don't understand - does the power for the switch itself come from the hot lead on the folding mirror side of the switch?
I know the wiring diagram would probably answer this question, but I am a hopeless case when it comes to figuring out WD's.
My impulse is to plug the white wire back into the terminal and try everything out.
Would the fuses protect me from a meltdown if I tried this?

Also, according to my FSM one of the wires, I assume it must be the white one, should test battery hot with the key on.

I'll take one last run at this. I removed the switch again and compare the plug to the FSM diagram. The wire which should test hot is in the number four position in the harness. The white wire which has been removed from the plug is in the number 7 position.
There is no power to any terminal on the plug key on or key off. Both the mirror fuse and the CIG fuse test good and hot.
The number 7 position is the pivot man in the FSM mirror tests so I assume power for the mirrors is transmitted within the switch from the number four terminal.
I can't make any mirror adjustments or tests with techstream. All mirror switch positions read OFF.
Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom