Mystery Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 87 2F has started making a noise that I cant trace. It sounds like it is coming from under the driver wheel well when you are driving down the road. With the hood open, cant tell. I only hear it when the engine reaches 2000 rpm or higher and goes away when you take your foot off the accelerator even above 2000 rpm. Bearings in one of the pumps possibly? I just swapped out the distributor and tuned it up. Starts right up and sounds awesome at idle. Any suggestions appreciated.

Yes, it does it when I rev the engine just sitting there. Seems like it might be belt driven that is why I thought maybe the air pump or the power steering pump was going out. Trouble is when I have the hood open I can't "locate" where the noise is coming from. Almost sounds like it is under the valve cover but my assumption is if it was in there, valve, lifter, etc., I would hear it at other than at or above 2000 rpms but I dont know.

Exhaust leak? Get a chunk of hose and stick one end to your ear, and move the other end around the engine bay to zero in on the source.

I would say it definitely has some rhythm to it. Seems to be more of a fast clicking sound actually rather than a thumping. Yesterday it magically went away for a while, then came back. Seems to be closer to 2500 rpms when it kicks it and if I keep my foot on the gas and push in the clutch it really gets going. As long as I keep it under 2000 rpms I dont hear it, which isnt possible at highway speed. I'll put some more work on the trace later this week. Thanks for all the input and suggestions so far.

I'm thinking maybe exhaust manifold gasket, especially since noise increases clutch down. How rusty that area of your engine?

Good call on the exhaust manifold. Pretty rusty down there. There is even a little pin hole that is visible. Thanks!

creature said:
Good call on the exhaust manifold. Pretty rusty down there. There is even a little pin hole that is visible. Thanks!

Hey sweet glad I can help! Good luck getting those bolts off, gonna be tough.

Looks like getting to them is going to be just as tough! But, I learned a ton after I had to pull my dizzy, couldnt, took it to a shop and they proceeded to break it off in the block. Told me couldnt fix it, shoot the old gal. What?! Mud to the rescue! Purrs like a kitten now...except for the exhaust leak. And yes, it does sound like it is missing on occasion. Thanks again. I'll let you know when I start digging in. -Dave

Have to tried heating up manifold bolts doing this while soaking it in penetrant, has always worked with extreme patience, something most shops can't afford. it would certainly beat cutting off all bolts, and drilling out, studs, where are you located?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom