Mystery leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still learning about the 1FZ-FE and all of its leaks. I recently replaced the front main seal, distributor O ring and front oil pump gasket. I thought these were all of the common leaks. I found this leak next to the crankshaft pulley and under the oil pump. Not sure what’s it called. If anyone can help….thanks
F6CD7E77-E9FC-4EB5-A514-102064E8B498.jpeg
BBFDC08C-6288-4A1C-A9EC-D80005CBDCD8.jpeg

Maybe left over from the oil pump cover leak, or the repair is leaking.

IIRC one person, maybe two, replaced the gasket for that plug but IMHO it wasn't clear the leak actually came from there.

There have been, rarely, leaks from the timing chain cover where it mates to the block but then you should see signs of leaking higher up along the sides of the cover. One of those leaks is directly above the oil pump cover in a "corner" of the timing chain cover but IME that one has been a very slow seep.

Wash off the bottom and lower front of the engine (avoid the distributor and top valve cover) and watch closely to see if the leak returns.

A trick of the trade is to wash and dry off the engine, when you are sure it is dry sprinkle talcum powder all around the suspected leak area. Go a bit crazy with the talc. When the leak starts again it will leave a 'snail trial' where it came from. Ideal for finding leaks inside vehicles as well, and of course your car will smell as fresh as a babies bum!

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Maybe left over from the oil pump cover leak, or the repair is leaking.

IIRC one person, maybe two, replaced the gasket for that plug but IMHO it wasn't clear the leak actually came from there.

There have been, rarely, leaks from the timing chain cover where it mates to the block but then you should see signs of leaking higher up along the sides of the cover. One of those leaks is directly above the oil pump cover in a "corner" of the timing chain cover but IME that one has been a very slow seep.

Wash off the bottom and lower front of the engine (avoid the distributor and top valve cover) and watch closely to see if the leak returns.
Thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom