Mystery Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question:
I have what looks like red ATF fluid leaking off the front driver side trailing arm. It’s red, and the only thing my HDJ80 uses red ATF fluid is the power steering. After a trip to the steam cleaner, and lots of brake cleaner, I have traced the leak to the driver‘s side fire wall, just under the brake master cylinder. However, the brake fluid is not red! Does anyone know how power steering fluid leaks on to the fire wall, and runs down to the trailing arm? As it that is not enough, the leak is episodic. I know it’s power steering ATF, because my truck is manual transmission- 80w90 gear oil is not red! Also the brake fluid is not red. Anyone have any ideas?

Check your power steering reservoir if low or MT there you go.
If you are running red coolant check the rad.
If still stumped I use cardboard in strategic locations to help isolate where the leak is.
You could touch it and smell it if that helps.

I have traced the leak to the driver‘s side fire wall
Drivers side doesn't mean much , its either LHD or RHD while looking forward.
My guess its your PS pump and the wind from the fan is blowing it backwards. PS pumps usually only leak when they are under pressure, so get an assistant to turn the wheel while you watch. Also check the steering box and the high pressure line from pump to box for leakage.

Left hand drive.
Check your power steering reservoir if low or MT there you go.
If you are running red coolant check the rad.
If still stumped I use cardboard in strategic locations to help isolate where the leak is.
You could touch it and smell it if that helps.
Power steering reservoir had run low, while radiator remained at same level.

Drivers side doesn't mean much , its either LHD or RHD while looking forward.
My guess its your PS pump and the wind from the fan is blowing it backwards. PS pumps usually only leak when they are under pressure, so get an assistant to turn the wheel while you watch. Also check the steering box and the high pressure line from pump to box for leakage.
Of course- LHD. Wind from the fan- that never occurred to me, makes sense. There is a fair bit of residual oil and crap on the steering shaft as it enters the gear box. However, i will watch the high pressure line from the pump to the box. What‘s your opinion on one of those stop leak compounds?

What‘s your opinion on one of those stop leak compounds?
I have never had any luck with them and the PS parts that leak are not overly expensive. Usually the pump leaks where the high pressure hose joins to it underneath. Its a 50cent gasket that's easy to do yourself.

Good to know. I think that I have been on the wrong track on this leak. Examined the garage floor this morning; my red fluid did not smell of ATF and it was not oily- which makes it Toyota red coolant. I have recently re-built the fuel injectors, and in order to get at the #6 (near the firewall) injector, I had to remove the hood, move a bundle of wires out of the way, and take apart the portion of the heating control; the bundle of heating lines with the wire connecting the heating valve to the dash knob. Due to COVID, and my German buddies supplying the parts, I am now using slightly larger than stock rubber hosing and regular piping clamps, instead of that clever cotter pin based toyota clamp. I can see some fluid on the bottom of that fitting, which is snugged up against the firewall. That seems a likely culprit for a leak that seems to be running down the LHD firewall. I'll go with tightening up the clamp on the hose- and if that does not work, I'll see about getting a smaller run of hose. By the way, I went looking for a 70 series in Italy when I bought my 80 series- good looking 73!

Those heater valves on the firewall get very brittle when they get this old, they can crack easily. Just something else to watch for, be very gentle and make sure it isn't already damaged. Replacements can be hard to track down as well, for RHD anyways.

It's been a few days since I last posted- but the culprit was none other than myself. I had not tightened the clamps down enough- three turns of a screwdriver and I have been leak free!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom