Mystery device (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to get my oil pressure gage working. I replaced the sensor and wire between the sensor and the gage but still no reading. BTW I get no reading on the water temp either but I'm trying to solve one problem at a time. The wiring diagram shows a wire running from the sensor to one leg of the gage. The other leg of the gage is supposed to tie to one leg of the water temp gage and then the fuse panel. Instead, I have this device wired to the oil and water temp gage and then I assume the device goes back to the fuse panel (no easy way to confirm). Does anyone know what this device is?

20230528_135351.jpg
20230528_135400a.jpg
20230528_135437a.jpg

It looks like a variable voltage regulator or dimmer.
I can't see the writing on it but there seems to be a hole for adjustment.

If that's the case I'd expect a +12v connection input. A ground input, and a lower voltage output.

May be this is a bodge to use a different/ later gauge??

It looks like your ground wire fell off.

Thanks. I bought new sensors and it doesn't work so I think I will remove it from the circuit.

It looks like a variable voltage regulator or dimmer.
I can't see the writing on it but there seems to be a hole for adjustment.

If that's the case I'd expect a +12v connection input. A ground input, and a lower voltage output.

May be this is a bodge to use a different/ later gauge??

It looks like your ground wire fell off.
The cluster looks like it belongs with my 71 fj40. Is there a way to tell if the gage is 12v rather than 7v?

The cluster looks like it belongs with my 71 fj40. Is there a way to tell if the gage is 12v rather than 7v?
If you remove the regulator you might fry a 7v gauge.

Firstly test if the regulator is actually working as intended by the PO.

If it isn't then you could try replicating it with, say, an LM7807 and a capacitor, or take the gauges out and bench test them at 7v first and then 12v.

If you remove the regulator you might fry a 7v gauge.

Firstly test if the regulator is actually working as intended by the PO.

If it isn't then you could try replicating it with, say, an LM7807 and a capacitor, or take the gauges out and bench test them at 7v first and then 12v.
Thanks for the advice. The PO has been of no assistance at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom