mystery coolant leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
havent driven the 62 for 2 days and today noticed a small puddle of coolant dripping directly under the cat thats closest to the drivers side. probably 10mL of GREEN coolant, which is wierd because the radiator was flushed a week ago and the new red coolant was added. ??? the coolant in the fill bottle is still red and when i opened up the rad. cap it was red as well and full. Started the engine and ran for a few mintues but no leak. i thought it might be the rear coolant engine drain plug but if that was loose it would leak on the cat closest to the passenger side. leak is hard to trace and i think the only reason why i noticed it was its been way humid here in SD so the coolant leaking on the ground hasnt been able to evaporate. any thoughts?

Well coolant will not evaporate but the water in it will. Do you have a rear heater? Sure the heater valves were all open when they flushed it. Only way I see is if some small amount of green got trapped somewhere.

See if it comes back.

Could be that that valve fo the rear heater wasn't opened and you trapped some of the old green antifreeze. the hard lines for the rear heater run where you're drips are showing up and they're exposed to road salt and any wheeling hazards. Time to crawl under to get a better look or put the truck on a lift for the same.

forgot about that rear heater. it must have been off during the flush.. that is the only explanation for the two different coolant colors. now for locating the leak.... this part is tricky because it looks to be coming from directly above the drivers side cat, but there is a heat shield above it so it must come from somewhere closer to the engine and drip down on the pipe, then flow to the cat and drip to the ground. where do the rear heater lines run? i'm looking through the FSM as i type this trying to find them.

NocalFJ60 said:
Well coolant will not evaporate but the water in it will. Do you have a rear heater? Sure the heater valves were all open when they flushed it. Only way I see is if some small amount of green got trapped somewhere.

See if it comes back.

Ding ding ding! I'll be my FSM that is it as well. ;)

Rear heater lines should run along the transmission hump. I think on a 60 they bend and go under the pass. seat. With a 62 should run underneath the center console. There are a few holes in the floor that wires run through for the sensors to the exhaust so you might start looking there. Also removing the console and lifting up the carpet will probably easily reveal where the leak it. Good luck.

Rob

You mean you didn't turn on the heater on the drive out from CT? doubt it... If they left the heater valve close when flushed, then once the heater valve was opened it would of mixed.There are two hard lines that run down fire wall right next to starter on passenger side that go to the rear heater.

the heat was definately used nonstop from the east coast until AZ, so that should have been more than enough time to mix the two coolants, but i''m only referring to the heat controls up front. i did not use the rear at all during the trip so would just using the main front heat allow the coolant from the rear heater to mix or does it have to be turned on as well? anyways, i drove around today with both heaters (front and rear) on full blast and then parked it with a big white piece of paper under the previous leak site..now all i can do is wait until tomorrow and see if it returns, (hopefully not) and if it does what color it is

When your push the level to heat it opens the heater valve and the coolant starts flowing to the rear heater. When you turn on the rear heater switch it just turns on the fan basically.

weird.. so basically there should not be any green coolant left in the system. when turning the rear heater lever to full on, no fan went on and i did not feel any air being blown.. i looked underneath and saw what appeared to be the ground wire to something just dangling, about directly below where the rear heater is... so my guess is that the PO had the rear heater disconnected from the rest of the cooling system and then turned it off by removing the ground wire, but there was just enough left in the remaining lines to leak a few drops.. i'll take a pic of the wire and where its located tomorrow... (still need to find the damn cord that connects the camera to my computer, my trip pics are still stuck on the camera as well)

You mean you didn't play with each and every switch in your new cruiser during your 3000000 mile ride home? :D

chitown40 said:
You mean you didn't play with each and every switch in your new cruiser during your 3000000 mile ride home? :D

i just discovered the power antenna switch today:idea: . apparently my antenna needs some wd40 because it only moves about 5cm up or down.

Yeah there is a separate switch to turn on the fan. The wire that go to the fan are not underneath the cruiser. Look under the back of the passenenger seat after you turn on the switch for the fan If the fan does not comen on, check the fuses. Bet the fan works fine.

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat188.tam Here's the diagram for both 60 and 62 rear heater plumbing. Connections for both are just inside the firewall. maybe you just need to tighten a hose clamp or two.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom