Mystery connector - 1991 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got this one running, but during the troubleshooting process I had to remove an old PRESTIGE APS-3 security system. This has been over a period of several weeks, waiting for parts, etc., etc.., but today everything came together and so did the Cruiser. As the title indicates, I ended up with a mystery connector that is hanging above the driver kick panel, below the instrument panel; it does not have a home. I do not remember unplugging it or anything like it. The connectors on the security system are notably different so it's not from there. Everything on the vehicle appears to be working, so maybe it's for an option I do not have?

So, does anyone know where this 4-wire black connector goes (pictured on the left in the attached image)? The small white connector on the right is a speaker connector, so disregard it. The wiring looks original to the vehicle and is color-coded in the same manner as original wiring.

Thanks in advance.

mystery-plug-001a.JPG

Last edited:
The size and shape and color leads me to believe it's meant to be connected somewhere to the dash.

My (admidititly crappy) memory seems to tell me that body harness connectors are generally white. The only place I remember seeing black ones aew where a wire terminates.

Does not look OEM to me. Might be the hookup for a trailer brake controller connection, usually has a blue wire like the one on the left?

Does not look OEM to me. Might be the hookup for a trailer brake controller connection, usually has a blue wire like the one on the left?
Now that's a possibility I had not considered. I will investigate further. It does have a receiver hitch setup, so that would make sense. No controller is present but it could have been removed prior to my ownership. I had planned on removing the hitch anyway.

Those wires do look factory. I don't recognize the plug, however, on each of the rigs I've parted, there are extra connections on the main harness, assuming for factory options (possibly from other countries markets).

I think hitch wiring is a good suggestion. You can test the wires, trying the turn signals first, to help isolate it.

Just got this one running, but during the troubleshooting process I had to remove an old PRESTIGE APS-3 security system. This has been over a period of several weeks, waiting for parts, etc., etc.., but today everything came together and so did the Cruiser. As the title indicates, I ended up with a mystery connector that is hanging above the driver kick panel, below the instrument panel; it does not have a home. I do not remember unplugging it or anything like it. The connectors on the security system are notably different so it's not from there. Everything on the vehicle appears to be working, so maybe it's for an option I do not have?

So, does anyone know where this 4-wire black connector goes (pictured on the left in the attached image)? The small white connector on the right is a speaker connector, so disregard it. The wiring looks original to the vehicle and is color-coded in the same manner as original wiring.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 2802812
Possibly, headlight washer option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom