mystery clunk/rub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had the OME Dakar lift on my FJ62 for several months now and it has settled in and become very smooth. For about a week ever time I pull into a drive way I get what I first thought was the noise and feel associated with a tire rubbing on the fender ( I still have the tiny donuts on this rig so I really doubted I would get this rub but the noise/fell was similar to what I have experienced in the past when my 4runners tires would rub.) Now I am feeling it through the foot rest and it really does not sound like a rub anymore but more like a clunk. I can do full lock to lock on flat ground without any noise and I can hit good sized speed humps at good speed without any bottoming out of the suspension.

I re-torqued all the ubotls. I have looks for rubbing and I don't see any sign of that. I looked at/pushed/pulled all of the steering components but cannot find anything unusually loose.

Any ideas what to do next?

shackle bushes.....all should have been replaced with the dakar but maybe the shackle hangers were forgoten??

Wild guess here. Broken motor mount. I say this because for me, what I thought was an occasional tire rub was a broken mount. I think the sound was the fan hitting the shroud when I hit a bump. To my old ears, I thought it was tire rub.

shackle bushes.....all should have been replaced with the dakar but maybe the shackle hangers were forgoten??

Yeah, the shakles and the bushings were replaced... I wonder if the shackle bolts are too tight or too loose?

Wild guess here. Broken motor mount. I say this because for me, what I thought was an occasional tire rub was a broken mount. I think the sound was the fan hitting the shroud when I hit a bump. To my old ears, I thought it was tire rub.

Hope it is not the mounts but now I had better go take a close look. I remember driving in th ebush with my brother in his Suzuki when a mount broken - not fun.

Get someone to stand next to you and locate it better if you can recreate it everytime. Also if it is rub it will shine up quickly and you should be able to see it on something

Get someone to stand next to you and locate it better if you can recreate it everytime. Also if it is rub it will shine up quickly and you should be able to see it on something

Did the driveway bounce test several times and I don't have any tire rub.

Is your exhaust hanging correctly? Just another idea.

G'day AZAussie,

I had a full OME kit fitted to my 60 about 18 months ago and experienced a similar problem. (It felt like a shudder through the steering column and the floor of the vehicle).

Eventually I found that the universal joints in the lower section of the steering shaft needed replacing. I have also found that if the slip joint on the lower section is not sufficiently greased the feeling returns. I would do the following:

1. Pull out the lower section of the steering shaft and give it a liberal coating of waterproof grease. It is a simple job and you only need a couple of hands tools. This should take about 20 minutes-If you allow time for grazed knuckles, swearing and the odd spanner chuck across the backyard.

2. Grab hold of the steering column and give it a good shake to see if you can pick up any movement. It might help to get someone to move the steering wheel from side-to-side while you hold the steering shaft. Once again this might help detect some play in the universal joints. If this is the case there are a couple of good threads that relate to change these uni-joints on this site.

Try the grease trick first. It is incredible what a difference it made to the feel of my truck for the grand cost of about 15 cents.

Cheers,

Ben

G'day AZAussie,

Eventually I found that the universal joints in the lower section of the steering shaft needed replacing. I have also found that if the slip joint on the lower section is not sufficiently greased the feeling returns. I would do the following:

Grab hold of the steering column and give it a good shake to see if you can pick up any movement. It might help to get someone to move the steering wheel from side-to-side while you hold the steering shaft. Once again this might help detect some play in the universal joints. If this is the case there are a couple of good threads that relate to change these uni-joints on this site.

Try the grease trick first. It is incredible what a difference it made to the feel of my truck for the grand cost of about 15 cents.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben you might be right - I do have play (seems like a lot) in the steering shaft U-joint. I will give the grease a go this weekend to see if it makes a difference. I recall one of the threads on how to replace the u-joint so I will try and track it down. If ya right I'll make Mum and Dad look ya up when they come down for the Melbourne Cup this year and buy ya a VB or whatever else it is you drink down there.

Cheers,

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom