Mystery 12.5 amp Parasitic Battery Drain (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, now I'm officially stumped. Last night I went to disconnect the starter wire from the positive battery terminal only to find that I missed checking the positive lead from the battery to the alternator. After checking various configurations, what I came up with is that if either the alternator wire or any of the three plugs on the left (not the small one on the right) that go from the plastic box on the battery to the fuse box are connected to the battery, then I get a draw of 11.5 - 12.5 amps. So.... that's where I am now. Any ideas/suggestions

That is strange because each of those plugs goes to a different location... obviously why you are confused as well!

Can I ask how you are reading the draw? Specifically where?

Have you checked your battery for a crack?

I like the heat idea! I was going to recommend something like that just because of the amperage... another person who might have access would be a window retrofit installer.

Short of that it is probably time to take it to someone to test your charging system and battery.

Been a bit busy with some other things so won't be able to take a look at this until tomorrow. I'll be checking the DVD player double check any other accessories first, then focus on the alternator and the connections/wiring. The thing about the alternator is that it was the first thing that I replaced and nothing changed afterwards. I know there's a chance that the new one could be bad also but to have these same symptoms would be pretty crazy.
The infrared cameras look pretty fun and checking for sources of heat makes perfect sense. I'll probably pull the fuse box apart and make sure nothing melted/shorted in there and decide if I want to get the infrared camera.

Also, I am checking the amperage by disconnecting the negative battery cable and then hooking up the amp meter between the it and the negative battery post. I have not thoroughly checked the battery yet. I think this evening I'm going to swap my two batteries just to be 100% certain that it isn't the battery that would somehow be causing the issue (even though it would make absolutely no sense at this point).

Again, thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'll update after I take another stab at it (or my wrists) this weekend.

I just saw this comment. I got the same problem. Just wonder if your find the problem. If it is. What it is please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom