Myserty Box Above the Steering column (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi
This is my first post. I have been doing a lot of reading and gaining a great deal of knowledge about the 1985 FJ60 we recently purchased.

I looking the truck over I found a mystery green box above the steering column. Does anyone know what this green box does and if I can use the white plug to power an inclinometer?

thanks
Doug

Mystery Box Above the steering column.jpeg

Are you sure that isn't Toyota? Looks like a period correct connector/ coloration.

For inclinometer power just tap into the cigarette lighter or any keyed ignition source. I believe that is how mine is wired.

There is one of those but black under the dash in my old ute don't know what it is but its factory

An inclinometer doesn't need power, it's a mechanical device.

To power added instrument lights, tap a dash light wire (HVAC controls)
Lights up with ignition? Radio power.
Clock memory? Hazard switch.

I think that controls the light on my back porch, don't fool with it.

An inclinometer doesn't need power, it's a mechanical device.

To power added instrument lights, tap a dash light wire (HVAC controls)
Lights up with ignition? Radio power.
Clock memory? Hazard switch.

I am wondering if this FJ60 is prewired for the inclinometer. The plug looks like the mate to the pictures of the male plug that goes into the inclinometer. If the FJ60 is prewired then the inclinometer purchase decision is very easy.

Most of the relay have a part # and a description on.

Hey Doug. It might help if you post what year and model truck you have. The best thing would be to create a signature line with that information...

That box could be the seat belt warning light relay. It has four wires going to it according to the wiring diagram.

In post 11 of this thread, I describe how I wired my inclinometer https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/where-can-i-get-this.30333/

If you can identify the color of the wires going into this 'green box', and assuming that the wires and the box itself are stock, then you should be able to identify what the name and function of this green box component is from the wiring diagram (see below for the right half of the wiring diagram...I'm assuming that the wires in the image are Light Blue)...given that:

Wiring Color Code Body Electrical_page 13-2 in 1980-chassis-body FSM.jpg

My money is on it being the Rear Wiper & Washer Switch(es)...see page 13-44 in the Body Electrical section of the '1980 chassis-body' FSM.

Wiring Diagram_FJ60 USA_2 1980 chassis-body FSM .jpg

Wiring Diagram_FJ60 USA_1 1980 chassis-body FSM .jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom