1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My wifes car caught on fire today.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Josh83, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Josh83

Josh83

My wife calls me from the parking lot in front of my work and says "my car (an 00 RX300 Lexus) is making a funny noise". This is after the check engine light had come on. Well, I get out there and the catalytic converter from the rear bank of cylinders is glowing red so I tell her to shut it off. Just then I noticed a very faint blue flame coming from the top of the cat. I sent a friend after a fire extenguisher and put the fire out, apparently doing no damage to anything other than the cat. The car was put on a flat bed and towed 50ish miles to the neerest dealer. Incidentally, I feel that the check engine light was the O2 sensor throwing a clogged cat code, and the cat got so hot it just started to melt and the noise she heard was an exhaust leak from the hole in the cat. Has anyone seen or heard of a cat catching on fire before? The car has 61,xxx on it right now. I'm hoping Lexus will cover the damage and the $200+ tow bill, since we wrote a check for an 05 RX330 last spring.

2. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Figures it would happen after 60k miles :rolleyes:

If you have a good relationship with your service guy, they might cover it. My LX 450 was covered under a CPO warranty when I bouht mine. I got along very well with my service consultant (I went to the same guy every time). Several times I had work done under warranty when it was sort of a grey area item in terms of what should or shouldn't have been covered.

Good think the fire extinguisher was handy -- that could've been ugly.

3. Josh83

Josh83

I really feel like Lexus might cover it, or at the least split it with me since the mileage is so close. If they split it with me I will be happy. I know Toyota would tell me to pound sand. I was VERY lucky to have been at work and had a fire extenguisher close by.

4. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

If I'm not mistaken, the emmission warranty is longer than that. Better check on that.

5. calamaridog

calamaridog

I was thinking the same thing...

6. Josh83

Josh83

Nope, 60K emissions warrenty. The quote from lexus was just over $3000 and nothing was damaged but the cats from the visual inspection. They are recomending that we pursue an insurance claim, since it was a vehicle fire, rather than pay out of pocket, so I am calling my agent on Monday to see what he says.

EDIT: I just found out the cat warrenty is infact 8/80. I will be speaking with the dealer on Monday and if they are still unwilling to fix it my attorney will be contacting Lexus corporate headquarters.

7. 76BigheadFJ40

76BigheadFJ40

aww man, I was dying over here cause I thought you wrote "My wifes hair cuaght fire today" Not that that would have been funny, but I'm tired, so it was :)

8. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

Yeah, I was thinking it was required by law to be 8/80 on the Cat. I once had one melt down, and a private place refused to touch it cause it was less than 80,000 miles. Said that by law they wer enot allowed to touch it, that I had to take it to the delaer, and they had to do it for free. Might have been state law though.

Fred