MY WIFE SAVED ME $10K! – MY INSPECTION ADVENTURE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

12.5k seems high, but a complete, unmolested 40 year old car is going to have zits. I bet he gets what he wants for it.

With that said I'd have run away with that board there - to me that just sounds like someone put rizlone or similar stuff in the crankcase to cover a bad bearing, flat cam, or something similar. In short, the real reason he's selling it is because it needs a motor (I've seen a seller use a board to quiet the knocking from the crank - it does work, fwiw).

And finally, setting a price before you see the car is a quick way to heartbreak - if it had run perfect, been everything you wanted, and you lost it for $100 or even $500 - only to finally find the one you want and be backed into paying 15k for it.... I play with Corvettes, and C3 Corvettes are my thing. I've had LOTS of Corvettes that were drivers for less than $1500 and sold them for lots more when the world suddenly realized that there was more to them than gold chains, disco, and chest hair. The FJ40 is getting the same renaissance - my first 7 FJ40s, purchase price combined, was less than $5,000 - and I drove every one of them home from the seller (one even had new paint)... my current one, was 50% of that price and it's a basket case the only difference is 10 years. The market is going up, and whether the economy sustains to support rapid growth or not, it's not going down in price or value.

the engine pic looks like it has a stock exhaust manifold on it, not a header.

battery is alittle fuzzy.
How's this? He recently visited a car wash.
engine-jpeg.950711

I'd have run away with that board there - to me that just sounds like someone put rizlone or similar stuff in the crankcase to cover a bad bearing, flat cam, or something similar. In short, the real reason he's selling it is because it needs a motor (I've seen a seller use a board to quiet the knocking from the crank - it does work, fwiw).

He did get a compression test just before I came to inspect it: #1 125, #2 115, #3 110, #4 120, #5 120, #6 120. For an engine w/94k miles, and the symptoms I described in my post, what do you guys make of these numbers?

compression tests don't mean much when there's a spun bearing.

Did I miss it was there a spun bearing or just a reference to valve noise?

Personally power train is secondary to body/frame. Easier to find running gear than rust free body parts. More people pulling running gear to upgrade over someone replacing a tub in good shape to installed a aftermarket one. Most tubs available come from used cruisers being parted out and are not in that good of shape requiring work.

I agree Paul from what I can see of the exhaust in the picture which isn't much it looks like a stock manifold but haven't seen every type of header.:meh:

How's this look?
manifold.jpg

The 2X4 was laying against the solid pulley next to the arrow
manifold.jpg

It problably just fell down there. I can't imagine that there was some kind of nefarious purpose.
For the purpose of performing a compression test, does it make sense that a mechanic might use a board as some kind of resistance brake to stop the crankshaft or something else from turning while turning/tightening/loosening something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom