1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My wife just told her boss she was leaving...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Liam, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    My wife broke down on the phone...she just got off the phone with the principle of her school and told him that we were leaving. She loved teaching at that school and built a great reputation for being an awesome teacher...
    I have such a great wife. She once told me that she would follow me anywhere, even if i only had one dollar to my name.....

Things are becoming very surreal :frown: ..... in a good way though, but still very scary.

Just needed to tell someone - i cant really say anything in my office cuze they dont know yet....

2. willmaxr

willmaxr

Hang in there Noah. That sounds really tough, but positive with your job. We are planning a relo to New England and are facing the same things, especially with family here. We've been struggling a bit financially because the wife is at home with the kids. It sounds like that might be a good thing when the time comes to move. Keep your head up.

3. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    Cheers....
    Yeah, she will be staying home with the little guy until something comes along....
    thanks for the words
    BTW - i have a great house for sale here in NE :D

4. beno

beno 23424-23216 Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Substitute teaching is primo in my book...around here in Crack-run Ohio, the fee is $100 per day which goes up to $167 a day after five consecutive days of subbing for the same classroom....not bad.

My mother subs in the Atlanta burbs and does it about three or four days a week--she brings home about $45K a year before taxes doing this...not bad in my book.

-o-

5. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    nope, that isnt bad at all.
    But it is not about the $$, it is more about i feel bad for ripping her out of a job she loves - and i cant stand to see/hear her cry...

6. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Give her a hug (is making her growl out of the question?)

Good teachers are hard to find, IMO. She will work her way into the Atlanta system pretty quick I would guess, that place is exploding too quickly....

What about private schools? My wife's cousin almost doubled her money going from public to private teaching at a Jewish school, and she's Methodist!

7. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    That is what i am hearing about teachers - the good ones are now being hired on at priviate schools and they are paying alot of mula for them.

8. Jman

Jman

She was just crying 'cause she and the principal had a "thing" going :flipoff2: :D :D :D

Yeah, teachers leaving can be pretty emotional. If she's good, I bet that even the students that were supposed to get her next year as a teacher are gonna feel cheated. :mad:

I know $$$ is $$$, but she should try to stay in the public system--it really needs good teachers. If she doesn't like the way things are done in the public system in Atlanta, have her check out charter schools at least.

Good luck.

9. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

Good luck with the relo. change can be stressful, positive change is not exempt.

$5 sez that silly shirt gets "lost" in the move - better yet offer to shred the shirt while your wife watches (or let her do it) a demonstration of your commitment to her (since she hates the shirt.) Either that or go out and get more and tell her that they're the rage in Atlanta. :flipoff2:

Added bonus is we won't have to be subject to it again. :D

10. tea LC

tea LC

Good luck.

I'm leaving for Rancho Santa Margarita, CA in two weeks and not looking back. No wife to bring but nonetheless scary.

IMO you'll do better than fine - you have more energy than half of this board combined - just focus it and don't wear that crazy shirt right away ;)

11. mabrodis

mabrodis

Hmm, somehow Seventh-Day Adventists were left behind here (the religion that I am), our school teachers make jack. My dad taught for 32 years, my mom for 20, the highest paid person in the school (principal with a masters degree in education) was making under $40K/yr, this was probably 5 yrs ago, and all teachers were below that...and this was for a city school which pays more than rural schools...

Teaching definetly is something most do for the fun and experience, not the money. I would love to be a teacher, need to go back to school and get that degree...

12. flintknapper

flintknapper

I don't understand that either. I know it costs an arm and a leg to send a kid to Southwestern, Andrews, or Loma Linda. Where's it all going?

13. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    here is an average/state
    by state

14. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

tell her she can cook a nice dinner for the cheerleaders once in GA, she might cheer up...! :D

(I still think this Ministry appointment was rigged, btw, bribes and all... :mad: )

15. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    interesting idea......i will keep that one on the burner..

16. Biff

Biff

I have the highest respect for teachers. When I graduated college I took the CBEST exam just to make extra cash as a sub. I lasted one day, was kicked out of a 7th grade class for pushing a student, I told the principal he started it. :) Good thing that wasn't my career. To this day I know what a skill it is to be a true teacher.

17. mabrodis

mabrodis

I was referring to highschool/elementary pay, I think Adventist colleges make more, but still nothing compared to a public university.

Not sure where the money goes, I know at Southwestern it probably went to the huttub that was inbetween the guy's and girl's upperclassmen dorms...heated 24/7 to about 114 degrees it felt (probably not that high but it was above 104 I guarantee that), in the 'winter' (and I use that term loosly in TX) steam would be pouring off that thing...not exactly conserving energy, but man was it nice.. :D

18. tea LC

tea LC

stop lying, mabrodis, you just want summers off you slacker :flipoff2:

19. cruiserwanted

cruiserwanted

Side note: important thing to remember about that average graph is that most teachers now have been in a school/experience 10 yrs or more. More interested to see what the beginning salary average is..........Like I said side note just do not want anyone to look at it and think oh 45,000 is not too shabby I will go into teaching than get to the rookie year and make 27,000 :D

Sucks leaving a job you love. Not to get you down or anything but I taught 2 yrs in IN than moved up to MN been here 4 yrs and still not teaching......Can be very difficult to get back into or change states. Good luck to you both.

:cheers:

20. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    My wife was making $45k her first year teaching in CT.