My UZJ40 Build - 2UZ iForce V8 and a750f 5spd auto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UZJ40

OEM(ish)
SILVER Star
Threads
This thread is a bit unconventional, as is my build. The reason being is that the vehicle is almost complete after over 2 years of hard work on it, and I've kept the build relatively quiet. The 2UZ swap is still somewhat rare, and there's only one that I know of using the 5 speed auto transmission behind it, which was in an 80 series. The reason I didn't start a build thread long ago is because I wasn't positive the vehicle would run and operate like I intended. I also figured I'd get a lot of questions regarding the swap and I wanted to be better prepared to answer them.

Being that I'm toward the end of the project, I'm posting a before and 'current' picture, and a couple videos. I have over 500 pictures and videos, so I'll timeline the build just like any other thread so people can follow along. It will take some time to write about the progress and post all the pictures, so I'll keep updating the thread over the next couple weeks.

Anyway, enough of that.... on to the good stuff

Before picture, taken on the drive home to Boise after picking it up from Portland
bef1.jpg

Ground zero
20131105_130833.jpg

Picture taken yesterday
cr3.jpg

desert4.jpg

20151020_182326_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Driving it for the first time in 2.5 years on Jan 24, 2015

Stay tuned for updates!

Last edited:
Wait a minute, you found a LHD triple wiper windscreen???

Kidding, the whole truck is ace. This is pretty much my ideal machine, 'cept a 45. Nice one!

Wow this is cool, congrats on completing the build. I bet it feels awesome driving is after 2.5 years! Looking forward to the details on the swap. Did you use a donor vehicle?

BUILD POST 1

I always knew I'd own an FJ40 one day. From high school into my mid 20's, I had always liked fast cars, and didn't have much interest in SUV's and 4x4s. I have owned around 40 vehicles, most of them BMW's. As I got closer to 30, my taste in vehicles changed a lot. I had also just started a job where I worked 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. I figured there was no better time than then to find a project vehicle, and I knew exactly what I wanted.

Even while I was at work, there was a lot of dead time. I searched the entire west coast for a good FJ40 platform. I spent countless hours on the internet and phone, trying to find exactly what I was looking for. I came across a nice 76 in Portland, OR. I called the seller, and he agreed to hold it for me until I could make the trip 4 days later.

I flew back home to Boise on a Friday evening, and that next morning, my dad and I flew to Portland to meet the seller. He was extremely nice. He didn't know a lot of technical information about the 40, but enough to make me feel comfortable with the purchase. After a quick drive and inspection, we were on our way back to Boise.

Happy new owner:
2011-08-20_12-42-54_897.jpg

My dad was happy too!:
2011-08-20_12-42-39_944.jpg

Last edited:
sweet ... love that you kept its heritage ... looking forward to following your build ... :smokin:

BUILD POST 2

The 40 was not stock, which was why I wanted it. I knew my intentions with it, and did not want to cut up an original. Here's a short list of mods it had upon purchase-

ZZ4 High Performance 350 Chevy motor (425 ft lbs of trq)
Poorly done, cheap lift and shackle reversal
Ugly wheels
Ugly seats
Ugly front bumper
Ugly steering wheel
Dynomat extreme EVERYWHERE
Custom gauges
Tuffy console

bef011.jpg

04111.jpg

I purchased the rig for $5000. There was very little rust on it. Rear sill, door bottoms, the usual. After I got it home, I drove it for the next two breaks, so about 4 weeks total. During that time, I wanted to experiment with the color. I was almost dead set on dune beige, but had never seen it in person. I got a beige color from the hardware store and decided I wanted to paint it, knowing it would get sandblasted before long anyway.

Out playing behind my parents' house:
2011-10-20_15-35-28_328.jpg

My wonderful girlfriend approving the $30 paint job!:
2011-09-27_13-39-18_612.jpg

I couldn't wait to get to work on it though, so in short time, out came the engine!

2012-02-05%2010.17.37.jpg

2012-02-05 13.35.50.jpg

After I got the engine out, I cleaned it up to make a for sale ad. I didn't want any of the current driverain, so I wanted to pull it and sell it as a complete unit (hopefully to another 40 owner).

2012-02-05 15.29.03.jpg

2012-02-05%2015.30.03.jpg

Last edited:
I'm along for this ride! Truck looks (and sounds) amazing!

That is beyond cool, I'm sure you will enjoy that for years to come

Subscribed and officially jealous !! I'm normally over in the 80's section but this is one build I wanna follow.

You've probably created the rig that most of us would just KILL for...and I don't even own a 40 !

Carry on Pls.......

Great looking 40 - subscribed

Wow this is cool, congrats on completing the build. I bet it feels awesome driving is after 2.5 years! Looking forward to the details on the swap. Did you use a donor vehicle?

You can't wipe the smile off my face! I keep driving it around the neighborhood, a bit further each time. I actually took it to the gas station today to fill it up... it was very surreal because I had thought about stuff like that for so long!

I did not have a donor vehicle, unfortunately. But I did have access to multiple 4Runners I scavenged parts off of from local junk yards

Nice looking 40!

Thanks!

Thanks for all the parts and help throughout the years Beno. If anybody needs Toyota parts, I highly recommend going through Beno. Extremely easy to deal with!

More pics please. Congratulations. Looks awesome

Thanks!

sweet ... love that you kept its heritage ... looking forward to following your build ... :smokin:

I love Toyota vehicles about as much as I dislike domestic vehicles, so this swap was a no brainer for me... Thanks you for following

I'm along for this ride! Truck looks (and sounds) amazing!

Thanks! Here's an exhaust clip if you'd like to hear it:

That is beyond cool, I'm sure you will enjoy that for years to come

Thanks! Hope so... that's the plan!

Subscribed and officially jealous !! I'm normally over in the 80's section but this is one build I wanna follow.

You've probably created the rig that most of us would just KILL for...and I don't even own a 40 !

Carry on Pls.......

I appreciate it. My goal was to make a unique, functional, modern vehicle that looks somewhat original to an untrained eye.

Nice truck, but I am more envious of your garage space.

I am spoiled with my garage setup, even though I often complain about a 3 car being too small!

Great looking 40 - subscribed

Thanks!

Top shelf work from what I can tell already. Much respect for going back to a Toyota drive train.

In the end, why didn't you go with a factory color?

Thank you for the comment!
I figure- it's not an original 40, so I don't need an original color. I definitely wanted a Toyota factory color though, to go with the theme of the vehicle. I chose Cement Gray from the 2013 Trail Teams edition FJ Cruiser and Scion TC

2012_fj_tt_1.jpg

2011-Scion-tC-cement-grey111.jpg

Last edited:
Come to think of it - what muffler did you run? I'm sure I'll find out in the build, but I've been casually shopping for when I refresh the Small Block Chevy in mine...That the low, throaty sound I'm looking for (might be the UZ too, though).

Nice purr...

Come to think of it - what muffler did you run? I'm sure I'll find out in the build, but I've been casually shopping for when I refresh the Small Block Chevy in mine...That the low, throaty sound I'm looking for (might be the UZ too, though).

Magnaflow 11226. I just posted a video of it above so you can hear it :)

It's definitely a sweet unique ride, Riley!! Subscribed!!

Thanks Danny, please come down and visit soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom