My upcoming '02 LX470 Overland Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, pending the results of a pre-purchase inspection, I'm about to pick up a '02 LX470 for a steal (under US$5K). I know of several issues going in that worry me a little so hoping for a little feedback on how costly some of these will be or if any are a deal breaker. I've provided my guesses based on some research. These are all things I'd like to fix before starting on the build.

1 - Needs new alternator ($500)
2 - Radio not working, could be tied to alternator? If not, found a used amp on ebay for $300
3 - Nav Screen is cracked but Navigation works
4 - Seats are in rough shape but might go with weatherproof seat covers instead of reupholstering
5 - Leather on steering wheel has basically disintegrated (new steering wheel is LOL expensive so hoping to be able to just recover the leather part)

My vision for the build:

TreadGordonLX470BryonDorr-1.jpg

Looks like a good truck and pretty decent price if those things turn out.
1. Think the stock alt is 130a so depending on what you are running, may be worthwhile to see about finding an upgraded one OR finding a shop that can rewind yours for higher output.
2. Likely not due to alternator, go through and check fuses to make sure that something isn't blown. Could be that the amp is just dead and thus no sound. Depending on your budget may be worthwhile to look at the Pre-03 Nav Delete thread and proceed that way.
3. See above about Pre-03 Nav Delete
4. Go with seat covers if they aren't too bad. Could save you a bit of cash, or you could go to an upholstery shop and see what cost would be to repair.
5. There is a good thread somewhere on here about a shop that had about a week turn around time for recovering the stock steering wheel with new leather. Also plenty of tutorials on YT if you are so inclined. Otherwise, look for a better condition one on ebay and swap them.

Looks like a good truck and pretty decent price if those things turn out.
1. Think the stock alt is 130a so depending on what you are running, may be worthwhile to see about finding an upgraded one OR finding a shop that can rewind yours for higher output.
2. Likely not due to alternator, go through and check fuses to make sure that something isn't blown. Could be that the amp is just dead and thus no sound. Depending on your budget may be worthwhile to look at the Pre-03 Nav Delete thread and proceed that way.
3. See above about Pre-03 Nav Delete
4. Go with seat covers if they aren't too bad. Could save you a bit of cash, or you could go to an upholstery shop and see what cost would be to repair.
5. There is a good thread somewhere on here about a shop that had about a week turn around time for recovering the stock steering wheel with new leather. Also plenty of tutorials on YT if you are so inclined. Otherwise, look for a better condition one on ebay and swap them.

Awesome info, thank you! Checked out the Pre-03 Nav Delete thread and not going to lie, that's waaay beyond my ability level. I'm more of a wrench guy, lol.

Paying for the inspection was worth every penny. Was able to negotiate the price down from $4,950 to $3,200. Thankfully, it did not need a new alternator, just a new battery. Had it detailed at the shop and did a Power Steering Flush and it's good to go! Next up is a laundry list of small fixes/maintenance but luckily, i'll be able to combine most of them with the planned 2.5" lift that is coming next. Will post pics tomorrow! Ordered a new steering wheel cover from Wheel Skins (thanks for the rec!) which will be arriving next week and I think I'm going to go with a nice set of Neoprene Seat Covers vs Reupholstering the leather front seats.

Scooping up an LX for $3200 and living in Costa Rica? I'm pretty jealous!

Wow, now that's a cheap 100! If the bones are good, that might end up being a hell of a deal! Your front or rear bumper might cost more than the initial car purchase, haha.

The seat bottoms can be done, apparently, by upholstery shops for under $500 each. Covers might be good, but I'd want to be sure the torn leather underneath couldn't be felt through the cover. Feeling an edge in the seat would drive me nuts.

Wow, now that's a cheap 100! If the bones are good, that might end up being a hell of a deal! Your front or rear bumper might cost more than the initial car purchase, haha.

The seat bottoms can be done, apparently, by upholstery shops for under $500 each. Covers might be good, but I'd want to be sure the torn leather underneath couldn't be felt through the cover. Feeling an edge in the seat would drive me nuts.

Thanks man! Yeah, had a pretty good idea of what everything I want to do costs going in but budgeting around $7,000 for the lift, Dissent front bumper, and still deciding on a rear bumber (possibly Slee).

That is a SMOKIN deal. New leather and wheels and I would rock that all day long.

Wet Okole is having a 15% off sale for July 4th if you’re thinking neoprene covers. Been very happy with mine.

I personally would recommend the nav delete because I just did that. However, I have the amp and head unit that functions great if you want it.
@Ridies Sells a complete front leather kit with armrests and center console for $500, but you could just get someone to only recover the bottoms. Great find. I bought mine for $3800. It's an '02 LX. You got a steal. Congrats

Honestly, it looks pretty clean in and out other than what you mentioned which are merely cosmetic issues. If the underside is reasonably clean/rust free too, you got a fantastic deal. If not, still a good deal. Subscribed.

I personally would recommend the nav delete because I just did that. However, I have the amp and head unit that functions great if you want it.
@Ridies Sells a complete front leather kit with armrests and center console for $500, but you could just get someone to only recover the bottoms. Great find. I bought mine for $3800. It's an '02 LX. You got a steal. Congrats

PM'd you!

I too live in Costa Rica and have had several cruisers here. I have a couple of concerns about this rig, 1 why are there no plates on her? has it not been nationalized? are reteve and marchamo up to date? Just by looking at the windshield I can see that she is not legal. This will cost probably about $2 grand minimum to fix. The lx was not sold in this country so Very few gassers are seen here. Most all of the 100s are diesel(thank god) so parts, and knowledge will be minimal. Where do you live? I am over near Santa Teresa. Feel free to pm me if you have questions etc. I have a great guy up in the central valley that can do an inspection for you.

I too live in Costa Rica and have had several cruisers here. I have a couple of concerns about this rig, 1 why are there no plates on her? has it not been nationalized? are reteve and marchamo up to date? Just by looking at the windshield I can see that she is not legal. This will cost probably about $2 grand minimum to fix. The lx was not sold in this country so Very few gassers are seen here. Most all of the 100s are diesel(thank god) so parts, and knowledge will be minimal. Where do you live? I am over near Santa Teresa. Feel free to pm me if you have questions etc. I have a great guy up in the central valley that can do an inspection for you.

Sorry for the confusion! I bought this one in the US as we are up here until the borders open up again (had to return in March for work).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom