My Turn - The Mega Dream Garage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Scored some metal from my buddy's farm today. Friend and family discount. His in laws are trying to sell it for $1.50 a foot. He told me get all I want for $100. I probably should have taken more.

20220822_121226.jpg
20220822_121215.jpg

This is an idea evolving in my pea brain. Standby for what it becomes on the shop walls.

Ehmm, I believe you’re overdue an update sir!!
I am. This weekend I worked on some shelving that I got for free. Kind of light pallet racking I cut down to a more manageable size. You reminded me I should call my electrician and see what he can do for me.

Looking great, any updated pics?

No pic but when my diff rebuild failed miserably today I pressure washed all the old metal I picked up. Front and back. It is all laid out on the floor of the shop.
It was a messy job but I am glad it is done. If I waited to long it would have been miserable to do when/if it started getting cold.

I am going to have to figure out the best way to cut it . I have a small plasma cutter. I need to cut pieces both directions width and length.

Last edited:
You need a sheet metal sheer attachment for your cordless drill. Lowes sells them for about $35.00. It works like a champ! Don’t buy a nibbler. They are too difficult to use with corrugated metal or sheets with ribs.

This is what I have.

1665278538419.jpeg

You need a sheet metal sheer attachment for your cordless drill. Lowes sells them for about $35.00. It works like a champ! Don’t buy a nibbler. They are too difficult to use with corrugated metal or sheets with ribs.

This is what I have.

View attachment 3135404
Was just shopping for that stuff. HF has an electric shear for $45 - and this weekend I get a free bucket :lol:

Was just shopping for that stuff. HF has an electric shear for $45 - and this weekend I get a free bucket :lol:

I'm not usually one to advocate supporting HF tools, but I have one of those $45 shears. It made all the small cuts in the 8K sq ft of roof on my shop. Still works just fine.

For straight cuts you cannot beat a metal blade in a skilsaw. I have Skil 7-1/4" and 12" wormdrives with metal cutting blades and they are very useful for cutting thin steel fast and straight with a very clean edge.

Although it is primarily cheap Chinese BS (aka CCBS in my house) I have gotten some good stuff at HF on occassion. I got a Bauer power planer and it has been fantastic for the price. I have put it through its paces. And the replacement blades are super inexpensive compared to the better more popular brands. Of course it is a great place to get something you may only use a couple of times too.

Got the shears. They are awesome. So easy to use.
Pile o'cheap old metal:
20221010_130307.jpg

Becomes walls with a ton of peg board. That crap is expensive these days.
20221010_181927.jpg

Not too bad for 6 hours of work. Had to stop near the end as my circular saw cord shorted out at an old break and I had to repair that.

I still need to throw some more screws in. I left a framed opening for my electric panel at one end and plan to run conduit on the walls. This is the work area. I need to find/build a nice big table in addition to my work bench that will be coming from the old tiny garage.

I still have plenty of metal to finish around the man door and make a spot to hang jackets and coveralls.

The metal looks great “backwards” like that.
I am pretty please. I know some of you hate peg board but given the other option$, I am sticking with it.

In other news, the electrician who wire my office is coming over Thursday afternoon.

I am pretty please. I know some of you hate peg board but given the other option$, I am sticking with it.

In other news, the electrician who wire my office is coming over Thursday afternoon.

I see nothing wrong with pegboard. I much prefer to hang common tools on the wall over putting them in drawers or cabinets. I think it stems from some kind of sickness where I like seeing things lined up in order.

I used to have all my wrenches hung up. Just put plywood on the wall, painted it white and used nails or screws to hold the tools. Then I hired a guy that was real short who couldn't reach the tools. I had to put them in toolbox drawers. In the meantime I've accumulated alot more tools so it will be wuite the project to hang all the wrenches on the walls. But seeing wrenches from 1/4" to 2-1/2" all lined up just makes me happy. I recently picked up a JH williams chain wrench from a friend. I have chain wrenches from 6" through 48" and thought I had it covered well enough. My friend show up with this NOS, never used, WWII surplus Williams chain wrench that has an 8' handle for up to 30" pipe. Now I'm not sure how I'm going to hang that because it weighs 200 lbs, but it's going to happen.

Good luck with your shop organizing!

Looks great HH! What's the ballpark cost of the spray foam insulation? I have a 28x32 shop (small, but she's mine) and I need to insulate it.

I too appreciate the peg board. Very helpful for finding crap unless you son has been working in the shop.
I just pulled all the tools and hangars off mine this weekend to use when I get the new shop built.

Looks great HH! What's the ballpark cost of the spray foam insulation? I have a 28x32 shop (small, but she's mine) and I need to insulate it.
I paid right at 10K here in GA for 2 inch closed cell. 40x45 with 14 foot eves. If I recall your shop is wood so you could get away with open cell which is cheaper. When dealing with a metal wall in our area (yours too probably) the metal will sweat a lot. Closed cell helps prevent that.

I too appreciate the peg board. Very helpful for finding crap unless you son has been working in the shop.
I just pulled all the tools and hangars off mine this weekend to use when I get the new shop built.
I have always hung my most used tools on peg board (screwdrivers, hammers, pliers) as well as large stuff like all my clamps, hand saws, levels. I realize there are other garage hook products but I really do not care for that stuff unless it is to hang hoses or spreaders. I did use some of that PVC Slatwall as wall covering in a lawn care garage I did in my last house. It worked well in there but the hooks are big an expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom