My Turn - The Mega Dream Garage (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have one I built that will go in there but I intend to make some more. I think I am going to build a big 4x8 and put steel on one end for welding.
I recommend something like this. The holes and pegs make lining up angled parts a breeze.

I recommend something like this. The holes and pegs make lining up angled parts a breeze.
That is what I was thinking but have a 4x8 table that half was metal with the holes qnd the other half wood. I would probably need someone I know with a cnc table cut all the holes for me.

That is what I was thinking but have a 4x8 table that half was metal with the holes qnd the other half wood. I would probably need someone I know with a cnc table cut all the holes for me.
plasma cnc not very tight tolerances for such a table. I think off the shelf would be better.

plasma cnc not very tight tolerances for such a table. I think off the shelf would be better.
Some table tops available - I need to explore the options.

I should probably get electricity in there first.

Last edited:
Got the shop walls studded for peg board and a wall cover in the work area and got the frame of the mezzanine done. Still need to hang the joists and get plywood but it is 6:30 and laborer (aka the wife) is headed out to hang with the girls.

The mez floor is 10 feet. I think I should have come down a bit but whatever. I had planned to make it tractor fork height but that is under 8 feet so punted that idea. Stuff that is up there will be stuff I will likely never need - spare axle housings, course birfs, crap like that.

Feel pretty good about it. I need to come up with a stair idea. If I could get an old aircraft maintenance platform or Home Depot stocker stairs that would be cool.

16610338223186820376181613839212.jpg

I took bottom half of an old alum ext ladder and hung it from the wall, it folds up to the mezz height so it doesn’t rob floor space.
I’ll get a picture that explains it, I’ve had it for years now and very happy.

No idea what kind of boat it came from or how it ended up in my town, but I got a Vietnam era fiberglass ships ladder from a local public works auction for $50. Seems to work pretty good and it's narrow so doesn't get in the way too much.

I find 97" clear height to the underside is a good height for a mezzanine. Seems I have a lot of things on wheels that are about 8' tall so that height works for me.

These are what I would want, but the price point seems too high for a home shop.
I like them for saving space while providing the ability to walk up and down the ladder safely with a load (i.e., carrying something on stairs versus a ladder).

Welder plus shop = maybe build a set that suits you and your needs (including the checkbook)

Go lower while you still can. I had a mezzanine in my old shop that the idea was same as yours - storage of stuff I wouldn't need often. Shop didn't have tall walls so I didn't have much choice when it came to height but I frequently found myself up there crawling around or hunched over trying to move/access stuff. You won't regret stand up height if you can do it.

There's a guy not too far from you in Dallas that had a bunch of those roll around industrial step ladders in varying heights. He's rmgrizzle on ebay or if interested, PM me and I have his number saved. Even if you just fixed in one place it makes a great/safe access to a mezzanine.

Go lower while you still can. I had a mezzanine in my old shop that the idea was same as yours - storage of stuff I wouldn't need often. Shop didn't have tall walls so I didn't have much choice when it came to height but I frequently found myself up there crawling around or hunched over trying to move/access stuff. You won't regret stand up height if you can do it.

There's a guy not too far from you in Dallas that had a bunch of those roll around industrial step ladders in varying heights. He's rmgrizzle on ebay or if interested, PM me and I have his number saved. Even if you just fixed in one place it makes a great/safe access to a mezzanine.
@LDowney - thanks for the suggestion. I may look for some scrap laying around and build one eventually.

@Waorani - My thinking is a roll around could do some other stuff too. Get up to my high windows, change bulbs, what not. Though I have a 16 foot step ladder already.

And it is too late to go lower :lol:
Finished it today.
I also went ahead and studded that last section of wall near the roll up door on the right. That is where the electric panel will live eventually.
20220821_172357.jpg
20220821_172404.jpg
20220821_175557.jpg
20220821_175550.jpg

Looking good. I would highly recommend you look at commercial grade slatwall instead of pegboard. There was a commercial fixture store near our last house that sold the sheets for around $40 each (4x8 and very heavy). Even if they're $100 per sheet today it would be far superior to pegboard. You can also get slatwall in vinyl panels but I found the commercial grade wood to be very sturdy for everything I needed to hang.

Here is my repurposed ladder setup, I’m 13’ ceiling so the mezz is just a spot to hand stuff up to and then carry on up the ships ladder I built to the attic.

7F73CFFF-4B51-4388-A787-A63A6A2E9299.jpeg

E5C00135-851F-43EF-9506-5EA23C684CEF.jpeg

06D04401-3458-495D-BC0D-7A8F52E9579F.jpeg

Is that a 2x12 joist?
Two 2x10s. I found a deck calculator that said it was good to span something like 11'4". Since there is no dynamic load (and nobody will be up there but me and some totes) I feel like I should be good. The alternative was three 2x8s. The joists are 88 inches 16 on center. I know the span is maxed out...or a bit more.

Man, that looks awesome. Made me get out and do a little cleaning in my own junk storage box. Now I doing some figuring on a mezzanine for one corner of mine.

When does the central air go in ;)

Also, where did you get those snazzy plates connecting the post to the carrier beam?

Last edited:
@jynx - I just happened on those plates on an endcap at Lowes. They were not too expensive (they had several brands and these may have been close out - yellow tagged). I started with a couple framing straps but saw these and thought they would look snazzy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom