My Turbo manifold for FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Inspire by Dusty's Turbo project, here is my own turbo manifold.

Was originally plan to do the equal length turbulence style manifold, but end up doing log style manifold due to many stupid reason. Anway, the safari style turbo kit use log manifold as well, so i guess this will work.

The manifold was done by local exhaust shop. I use 48.3mm diameter 304 3mm thick stainless steel weld ell. You may already notice that i have the vertical support on top of manifold between flange plate and pipe. further more, i had a support beam between turbo turbine housing and engine stand. These are to ensure that my manifold won't fall apart or crack when i am doing extreme off-road ride. I am going for the 5000km off-road rally race at May, hopefully, the manifold will be strong enough to last.

The cover with handle bar on the turbine was there so i can drive it home and complete the rest of turbo. I thought it is a good idea too, in case if the turbo break in the middle of road, i can put this cover back in and continue to drive in N.A. form.

The turbo came with internal wastegate, but only open at 15psi or more, definitely too much for me, i remove it and lock the hole and replace with Tial style 38mm external wastegate. This one is made in Taiwan, much better in quality than Chinese made one i bought before.

IMG_0156.JPG

Here is a view with compressor attached. I use the diesel turbo. Holset HX35w. commonly use on the 5.9 cummins diesel engine. It will spool up fast enough and sure support up to 400~500hp with good tune. The exhaust has nice polish machine, i spend a little time to polish the compressor housing...not too bad. Holset has a big factory in China, and their products where widely available here. I paid like 230USD for this brand new turbo.

IMG_0140.JPG

The exhaust shop has little experience of making turbo manifold. The T-pipe isn't long enough, and need to be extend. Under my request, they weld both inside and outside to ensure this thing won't crack.
IMG_0127.JPG

The stainless beams are there just to position everything correctly.
IMG_0131.JPG

finally put everything together and weld them with TIG welder.
IMG_0135.JPG

No matter how good you jig the flange, it bend slightly after weld together. Well, in China, we have a really simple way to fix this, a big hammer and a skill worker solve this problem.
IMG_0138.JPG

and sander bed is also require just to make sure everything is flat
IMG_0139.JPG

Here is another view of a new made manifold. The O2 sensor hole is there for the wideband O2 gauge.
IMG_0158.JPG

The shop also made me the rest of exhaust pipe and the intercooler and intake pipe, so i don't have bother too much with these rubber couper. It takes total 12 hours a day and 3 working day to complete everything which make me really tire at end...... i was there whole time to watch and help.

Tony

nicely done!! What turbo flange did you go with?

I think it is a divided T3 flange, I had head flange, turbo flange and turbine outlet v-band flange made by local machine shop.

The flange is 10mm thick. I was originally ask for 13mm one, but just don't have any in stock.

Nicely done!

Wow! Looks lovely! Please keep us updated. :cheers:

That is beautiful. Can you get more made?

Karl

Question, for you guys with custom made turbo manifold why dont you make good one, mandrel bent U-tube and better flow instead of (like the 2nd pic).You guys know how to weld and why don't you make good one?

Pic 1 - JDM Turbo Manifold.

P.S: Of courser the mandrel bent U-pipe cost more money.
That first one isn't mandrel bent, it's welded in pieces and incredibly difficult to do freehand. I don't see a huge advantage to it anyway, it's not equal length. Just looks better because it appears to be stainless steel.

That first one isn't mandrel bent, it's welded in pieces and incredibly difficult to do freehand. I don't see an advantage to it anyway, it's not equal length. Still a more or less basic log design, just looks better because it appears to be stainless steel.

I know its not mandrel bent Im just showing as it looks like, flows better than one straight pipe going onto one direction.

I know its not mandrel bent Im just showing as it looks like, flows better than one straight pipe going onto one direction.
This is true, however a log is a more compact and easier to build design... either way, he mentioned in the first post that he chose log for some reason, I'm sure he'll chime in :grinpimp:

lx-treme
if the goal is only 300hpish with 6psi why even bother with a killer manifold?

besides the log manifold will last longer.

but if one were going to turn his cruiser into a lowered ricer then perhaps that thin stainless thing is plenty bling. But who the hell would go and do a thing like that...

1.Did you read from the top? He use diesel turbo, its Holset HX35w commonly use on the 5.9 cummins diesel engine.It will spool up fast enough 400-500hp.

2.Are sure about it? Can you proof one to me…;)

3.These has nothing to do with lowering cruiser, lifting cruiser or bling-bling.Im just comparing between better flow mandrel bent U –pipe and his designed.

Most of the cummins 5.9l exhaust manifolds are log style and they seem to last long enough, with enough fuel and air they can embarase most vehicles.

I was under the impression that a gas turbo had better or more of a seal on the turbine shaft than a diesel turbo. The ability to swap gas vs diesel would lend it self ok one way but not the other. Put a diesel turbo on a gas motor and it would suck oil past the seals. gas motor has vaccume on the intake and a diesel doesn't due to being controlled with fuel and open intake no throttle body. Have I lost it? or have things changed?

Nice manifold BTW I'd sport the turbo except I doubt that a trans would last under my foot, without upgrading.

1.Did you read from the top? He use diesel turbo, its Holset HX35w commonly use on the 5.9 cummins diesel engine.It will spool up fast enough 400-500hp.
I ran a HX35W on a 2.4L KA24DE... I have no doubts in the 1FZ being able to spool it quickly. Made ~280whp at 10psi. They're quite common in the budget turbo build community. I must admit I've never seen one do more than about 400whp though (and the upper limit I saw was on a 5.0)... I know they sell upgrade wheels at www.htturbo.com which allows for a bit more hp. I wish him luck with his goals though.

How quickly could a turbo of that size spool up? Im having a hard time justifying a turbo over a supercharger due to their separate power bands.

How quickly could a turbo of that size spool up? Im having a hard time justifying a turbo over a supercharger due to their separate power bands.
Very quickly, it's rather small. I saw full boost around 3500 on a 2.4l 4cyl with one.

Nice work on the manifold! Turbo placement looks great. Did you cut in expansion joints into the flange? If not cut a few in between the runner's to avoid cracking the manifold. The welding looks great! The log style will flow fine in the under 350 to 400 hp crowd...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom