my turbo build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my old thread that was closed
https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota-truck-tech/431999-300-turbo.html

FINALLY got back around to working on this thing after building a motor for my ae86 and trying to find a decent job (still looking).

anyway as she sits now.
-93 2wd frame
-92 4x4 cab and box
-85 turbo motor & full wiring
-87 5spd & case & rearend
-85 front axle w/ifs hubs & 60series rotors and 92 4runner calipers
-92 4x4 rear springs up front

parts acquired.
-all-pro hi-steer
-sky-man. shackles, leaf hangers, backing plate elim. kit
-front hi-pinion toyota elocker
-rear tacoma elocker

planning.
-all-pro rear springs
-4runner radiator support conversion to run composite headlights (have all of this)
-rear disc of some sort
-36 or 37" pitbulls
-lower gears

as she sits as of tonight.
001-37.jpg

start of my front hanger
002-32.jpg

thoughts if this is about the right angle the shackle should be at?
as of right now its only got the motor sitting in it, so I dont know if once the trans/case goes in if itll flatten the springs more? should I move the front hangers forward? They're only tacked so its no big deal to move at THIS point.

003-34.jpg

004-23.jpg

I wanted it rolling this week, and I want it moving under its own power by the time snow starts to fall.Not planning on using it in snow but just sounds like a reasonable goal.

ANY INPUT APPRECIATED!! :cheers:

Last edited:
I haven't done an SAS, but the angle looks a little far back. I would be worried that once the extra weight of the trans and t-case are in then it will be very flat and if it get to far then the spring will have little if any up travel.

Might try some straight shackles to see if that helps the angle. What springs are you using? I noticed you have your front hanger pushed waaayyy out front of the oem front crossmember. Maybe you could try some shorter springs to help bring things in a little.

Truck looks like a fun project. Keep the updates coming.

Last edited:
have put this thing on the side for awhile but Im finally back to it.

below are the progress/pic's of my IFS hub swap.
talked to my dad about the different methods Id seen people use to run the hubs..sky-man spacer...grinding calipers ears etc.

he looked at them and noticed the knuckle would be able to mount onto the lathe and the ears are flush with the face so then it'd all be spuare! now both are turned down and have drilled the FJ60 rotors to mount to the IFS hub. It all turned out perfect! the rotor is dead center of the caliper.

the way we're mounting the caliper is with some thread insert sleeves I found on ebay from the UK..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealey-VS04...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item43b3549289
planning on drilling threads out of knuckle ears, then pulling these into the calipers. If you read the auction thats actually what these are desinged to do is fix messed up caliper threads..just trying to avoid running bolts/nuts to hold the calipers on

005-28.jpg

006-12.jpg

007-20.jpg

008-17.jpg

sleeve made so the IFS rotors and FJ60 rotors are perfect square to drill
009-13.jpg

011-9.jpg

014-6.jpg

thought Id post these....does anyone know if I can mount a DIY beadlock kit on these wheels?
017-1.jpg

Last edited:
I think you would want a wheel with more backspacing than those. Probably around 2.0in. bs, I have 3.5 on my mini w/ 32's and it just clears w/o adjusting the stops. Loving the maxxis tires, looks sweet.

right now the maxxis tires are on generic "rock crawler" 15x10 wheels and they hit the 4runner calipers. I also liked the idea of running OE wheels but just with a DIY beadlock kit. Trying to keep this thing as much TOYOTA as possible. Ill have to mount the tundra wheels on the front and see what the spacing looks like, it should clear fine now with the IFS hubs.

planning on doing a paint sceem (sp) like these. want it to look like a toyota concept truck, hence the random pile of cool toyota parts. elockers, turbo motor etc
DSCF0515.jpg

gg1.jpg

You'll need to run a 1.5" spacer in front. IFS is wider then 85 and earlier. It'll even it out and then any whelk will clear the calipers.

the other night we got the trans member brackets tacked on. Only tacked because my lincoln 110 wont burn them in enough to be safe. Got the motor to crank over with the 87 harness in the truck, had spark too. Now once it isnt -200* out side I get to tear everything off it, load it on a trailer and haul it over to my dads to burn in the front suspension, trans member with his 220 miller.

also received my thread inserts from Britain finally so Im looking forward to finishing the brakes up.

its at least coming together....slowly

got home from work last night and wanted to get the truck tore down...so I did, by myself in about 2hrs
001_zpse91056b4.jpg

least favorite part of a project, getting it all together just to take it back apart :rolleyes:
002_zps1f33bf6c.jpg

love this mount! best $200 Ive spent on the project thus far..also have matching skid plate to go with this
003_zps5de589ab.jpg

free (basically) flip kit, using 2wd shock mount upside down, works perfect!
004_zpsf5124eb5.jpg

box setup and tacked, tie-rods seem to have plenty of clearence

001_zps144a7ee4.jpg

004_zpsf9d11ac0.jpg

planning on keeping them electric, were you just curious or is there a reason to go cable? This is my 1st time messing with elockers. so feel free to lay some info on me.

:cheers:

forgot to update this when we finished the frame

we had to modify the body mount so we mount the leafs a little farther back. Other wise the steering wouldve been more or less ahead of the frame. But now I still picked up about 3-4" of wheel base and the steering box is just up against the front frame crossmember.

I have the next 11days off and after we get back from a little anniversery trip to chicago I should have this thing running and stopping under its own power!

041_zps3b42cad0.jpg

042_zpscdd85de6.jpg

043_zps4843772f.jpg

044_zpse8f618f5.jpg

045_zps4673df20.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom