My Transmission is WAY overfilled... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I'm working through issues on my new to me LX450 and just checked the transmission fluid and it's WAAAAY over filled. Assuming I'm doing this right, I'm about 3" over the top of the HOT-MAX mark on the dipstick, and the car is cold... Do I just pull the plug, left it all drain out, and then refill until I reach the proper fill level, or is there something that I should be worried about?

FYI, this was not found on the Toyota multipoint inspection that was done by the dealer 4k miles ago when the previous owner took it in for extensive EGR work...

NO....don't be too quick to panic.

Don't check the ATF level cold. Start the engine and let the trans come up to operating temperature.

Shift though all the gears and return the shifter to 'park'. With the vehicle in Park, Idling, LEVEL ground and trans temp warm:

Remove the dipstick, wipe it off, then check the level. Let us know what you get.

If you check the level 'cold/engine off' then you are seeing the level after a lot of the fluid has drained back into the pan. This is a very inaccurate way to determine fluid level. Always check with fluid warm, engine idling, in park on a level surface.

Engine running when you checked it?
No, cold... Like, not run in a week due to seat belts being sent back to repair cold...

You guys are correct, of course... I didn't think about all the fluid that drains down after sitting for a week... I will start the car up, shift through gears and then check again...

Hello all,

I'm working through issues on my new to me LX450 and just checked the transmission fluid and it's WAAAAY over filled. Assuming I'm doing this right, I'm about 3" over the top of the HOT-MAX mark on the dipstick, and the car is cold... Do I just pull the plug, left it all drain out, and then refill until I reach the proper fill level, or is there something that I should be worried about?

FYI, this was not found on the Toyota multipoint inspection that was done by the dealer 4k miles ago when the previous owner took it in for extensive EGR work...
As @flintknapper and @jonheld stated, and a little addition:

1) Start and drive the truck at LEAST 10 miles to get the transmission up to operating temperature.
2) Park the truck on flat, level ground.
3) Do NOT shut off the truck.
4) Place the truck in PARK.
5) Pull the transmission dipstick and wipe it off with a CLEAN rag or paper towel.
6) Re-insert the dipstick, pause for a moment, then pull it back out and hold the wet end down, and check the fluid level.
7) The fluid level should be between the ADD and FULL marks and should NOT be over the FULL mark.
8) Smell the fluid to note how it smells. It should be a bit heady, with a slight hint of heat, but not woody or oakey. It will be well-balanced with just a hint of fruitiness.
9) Add fluid to bring up to the correct level or suck fluid out the dipstick hole to remove any excess.

Not sure how critical this is but read on here based on using its wonderful SEARCH feature that one should cycle through each gear 10 seconds hold, up and down on a fully warmed up transmission with engine running to get an accurate fluid level reading.

FSMey?

Last edited:
8) Smell the fluid to note how it smells. It should be a bit heady, with a slight hint of heat, but not woody or oakey. It will be well-balanced with just a hint of fruitiness.

What about mouthfeel? LOL

ATF should also be bright candy red in color.
atf-comparison.jpg

I finally got my seat belts back in so I could take the car out. After running it for about 1/2 hour and shifting through all the gears, I tested on level ground with the engine running.

It was about 1" above the hot full mark on the dipstick.

Looks like I need to figure out how to extract some fluid...

I'd like to exchange the fluid at this time, but I think I have to get it to the right level first so I have a baseline of fluid level. Once I get it to the hot-full level, I can then go quart by quart for replacement. Does this sound reasonable?

I'd like to go ahead and change out my fluid, but

As @flintknapper and @jonheld stated, and a little addition:

1) Start and drive the truck at LEAST 10 miles to get the transmission up to operating temperature.
2) Park the truck on flat, level ground.
3) Do NOT shut off the truck.
4) Place the truck in PARK.
5) Pull the transmission dipstick and wipe it off with a CLEAN rag or paper towel.
6) Re-insert the dipstick, pause for a moment, then pull it back out and hold the wet end down, and check the fluid level.
7) The fluid level should be between the ADD and FULL marks and should NOT be over the FULL mark.
9) Add fluid to bring up to the correct level or suck fluid out the dipstick hole to remove any excess.
I add a pinch of cinnamon so I know it’s mine when it leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom