My Toyota dealer needs help ! Still have noise coming from right rear :/ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HSR

Threads
Hello all-

So for the past 3 visits ...yes 3 ! i have told the dealership that i hear a noise coming from the right rear of the vehicle. Specifically under compression (i.e speed bumps / dips on highway). In previous visits they have replaced rear sway bar bushings ...rear end links ...front end links. The shocks were done 10,000 miles ago (OEM) at tire shop were i had Fallen Wildpeaks installed . So, as some here mentioned to tighten the strut nut i advised the dealership to do so. They indicated that the rear right strut was bad and it was in need of replacement as well as a few other parts. I went ahead and paid, picked up the vehicle on 03/20. On the way home i drove through the local YMCA to go over some speed bumps......and sure as s*** the noise is still there. I then spoke to the service manager once i got home. He advised to bring it back in, which i did. The next day i get call apologizing saying that they retightened the strut and the noise is gone. Back to the YMCA speed bumps on the way home and BOOM! the noise is still there. I called them up and left a message. Currently they are working with minimal manpower due to cover-19 which is totally understandable. However, as police officer i also need to get to work during these unprecedented times. I feel like i just spent $ 300 + on this last visit and the vehicle still isn't right. Once they find out what the problem is (if they ever do) i really do not want to open my wallet. I may even call Toyota of North America, but i do like the dealership we have purchased two vehicles from them and the service is great. thoughts ? Sorry for the long post. Hope everyone is staying healthy. - H

could it be jacked up on the right rear and replicate the noise? or is it just when driving over speed bumps?

You may want to insist on a drive along with the tech?

Could you discribe the noise a little more? Maybe even a recording? Is it a clunk, scrape, grind, squeak, pop, groan, chirp, squeal? I’m assuming the dealership is taking it for a drive to see what they feel, so ask them what they were doing to test it. Also, have someone drive over a speed bump while you listen.

Could you discribe the noise a little more? Maybe even a recording? Is it a clunk, scrape, grind, squeak, pop, groan, chirp, squeal? I’m assuming the dealership is taking it for a drive to see what they feel, so ask them what they were doing to test it. Also, have someone drive over a speed bump while you listen.

I would say more of scraping noise under compression . As of now they don't want to have me in the car due to Covid-19. I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Have them check the parking brake assembly on that corner... the mechanism comes apart and can make noise during suspension cycling. HTH

Thanks - that has been completely replaced by them also ! about 2k ago
But may be they didn't install parts right. Check spare tire carrier, any loose tool in the tool area, coins in cup holders, ash trays

Thanks - that has been completely replaced by them also ! about 2k ago
Some places have trouble adjusting this properly, did you notice the sound before the work was done? They may have introduced it by doing the work.
Other than that, which I truly think is the problem because I had the same, I say check the spare to be sure it's tensioned up properly.

Also, if they didn't replace all components there could be the something sticking or frozen. If you can visually observe the movement of the emergency brake housings as somebody applies the brake, that may offer a clue.

Actually, how I finally diagnosed mine, was to take it to a road section with speed bumps where I would normally hear the noise and then engage the e-brake one or two clicks so it added tension, the noise stopped immediately in my case so I knew it was a poorly adjusted e-brake. Shop corrected it by adjustment with no new parts and my rig has been silent ever since.

My rear end noise was either the rear most ujoint or the spare tire under deflated. I filled the tire back up. It actually was moving back and forth. Same day replaced the rear drive shaft. Not sure which one it was but it worked. Good luck

There are a number places this could come from undercarriage. Seems most covered in thread, of which shock towers were my first thoughts.

I've replacing rear coil springs, and have that make a difference.

Bushing for control arms are another hard to detect.

Also make sure roof rack rails, spare tire hanger and rear bumper support are/is tight.

I had something similar with my wife's '11 4Runner. Ended up taking it to the dealer 3 times to get figured out. First, visit they found that 3 of 4 shocks were leaking so those were replaced (under warranty) and sound seemed to be gone for a while. Then found that going into our driveway or, like you, over a speed bump it would make the sounds. Took in again, they found nothing but took shocks down, regreased all rubber/metal points, etc. and sent me on my way. On the way home I hit a speed bump at the local starbucks and BAM same noise. Dealership is two blocks away so ran back grabbed a service manager and he sat in the rear cargo area with rear window down. He could hear it and they spent two days trying to find it doing all to the above again.

Once I got it back it seemed the squeak/rasp was gone until one day it wasn't. Wife and I were ready to live with it seeing as the service guy said if the last round didn't fix, only other thing he could think of was body mounts being warn somewhere but that wasn't covered as part of the warranty. I happened to be crawling under the truck one evening taking some measurements for another MUD member and braced myself on the spare to push down a little further and THERE IT WAS.
Turns out that the spare was just loose enough that if you went over a bump just right, it would shift against the frame and squeak. So morale of the story... CHECK YOUR SPARE!!!

My vote is parking brake adjustment. I had a rattle and it turned out to the wheel caps on the TRD wheels. The clip inside popped off and rattled around inside. Remove clip, no more popping off and making noise.

I had something similar with my wife's '11 4Runner. Ended up taking it to the dealer 3 times to get figured out. First, visit they found that 3 of 4 shocks were leaking so those were replaced (under warranty) and sound seemed to be gone for a while. Then found that going into our driveway or, like you, over a speed bump it would make the sounds. Took in again, they found nothing but took shocks down, regreased all rubber/metal points, etc. and sent me on my way. On the way home I hit a speed bump at the local starbucks and BAM same noise. Dealership is two blocks away so ran back grabbed a service manager and he sat in the rear cargo area with rear window down. He could hear it and they spent two days trying to find it doing all to the above again.

Once I got it back it seemed the squeak/rasp was gone until one day it wasn't. Wife and I were ready to live with it seeing as the service guy said if the last round didn't fix, only other thing he could think of was body mounts being warn somewhere but that wasn't covered as part of the warranty. I happened to be crawling under the truck one evening taking some measurements for another MUD member and braced myself on the spare to push down a little further and THERE IT WAS.
Turns out that the spare was just loose enough that if you went over a bump just right, it would shift against the frame and squeak. So morale of the story... CHECK YOUR SPARE!!!

Gents -

Before taking it back in, i'm going to the spare tire off. I love this forum and i love my LC...it currently has 207,508 on the clock and runs great. Thanks so much i will keep you posted !

UPDATE : I took the spare tire off yesterday and went for a spin. Unfortunately the noise is still there :/ .....Still waiting to hear back from dealer

Hey guys / gals -

So appretnaly it was a brake cable that was pushing down onto the muffler heat shield. They took care of it ( kudos to Doylestown Toyota). They also took of the front skid plate due to some noise there also. Last thing i'd like i'd really like to do on the LC is a front skid plate. AFSIR seem to make one that is reasonable in regards price with the brief search i've done....any recommendations ? Not looking for anything fancy just want to protect the under belly.

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom