My Tire Problem (SOLVED!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What do your wheels look like? How does the lug nut seat in them? Are they lug centric wheels?

If you have to road force balance a tire they are junk!

It's going back tomorrow morning, so I'm really hoping this gets sorted out. This is one of the only things I don't/can't do myself or with a buddy. The lack of control is killing me... lol. Maybe its just some weird thing and it magically gets sorted out. It sucks because I dropped the money on them and the install/alignment and things are worse... It's just never how you want it to go down. There are a lot of variables, but I am betting either it is some weird wrinkle that was messed up or the tire(s) are defective. But "pretty good" doesn't do for me. I'm just the type that wants it right you know... I will give it to the shop, they are trying. If the tire(s) is/are bad than there isn't much they can do. I'm suspicious because two different machines there provided them with 2 completely different amounts of weight distribution. I don't know how normal that is though. I also tore my MCL in my knee this week. So.... I'm pretty bummed....

I was on my way this morning and got turned around due to a family issue with my dad. He is ok though. I then had an appointment for my knee. I have an MCL tear. I called the shop and am basically looking at 2 options. 1) try the road force balance one more time, or 2) get a new tire. I’m currently debating what to do but can’t make up my mind. I’m either going to give it another go or return them and order cooper st maxx 255/85/16s and go pizza cutter. I just need to decide what to do. It’s gonna cost more as it goes on if I can’t make my mind up. I have a lot of different voices and opinions I’m listening to and I’m kinda having trouble deciding.

I don’t want to keep running back and forth to the shop either. They are willing to give me one of those options for free (balance again or mount new) and I don’t want to take advantage of them. I appreciate everyone’s feedback and help. You guys are awesome. I did rotate the tires front to back today with no change other than an additional vibration at lower speeds.

I vote new tires these ones cost you enough.
Only other thing I might do is trade tires with someone if you can to make sure it’s not the truck. A lot can happen after tearing the suspension apart and putting it bake together.

This is the reason you should never buy tires online. Always from a shop. That way it is their problem, not yours. If I get a tire I do not like and it takes too much weight I have them bring me another one. I have only had to do this once in the past 6 years. If a tire gets damaged taking it on and off it is also the shops problem. And I buy hundreds of tires a year at the shop.

Sorry for the late response. @Explorer4Hire if you still have the old tires, I'd swap you out for my 17s with BFG KO2s to see if it was a suspension issue. Let me know! I could bring a jack and stands to the February meeting and an electric impact, make the switch-a-roo.

I usually take an Occam’s razor approach. The most simple and recent explanation usually fits... not always I guess. I one had a mini tuck with terrible vibrations after a lift because of an out of balance drive shaft which was exacerbated by shaft angle and lengthening, but the FJ was butter until just before the tires. I even payed close attention because of that previous issue and I was impressed how well it was feeling on new springs and a load range e (they may have been d). So One thing is for sure. I believe in full disclosure! We will find out!

I’ve heard the FJs are super sensitive to different tires and some are fine on one rig and not others...dunno... I’ve also heard there is an adapter for balancing them well that Toyota has that is lug centric.... but that seems weird to me? We will soon see. It will all work out in the end. No worries!

Thanks everyone!

Hallelujah! It was the tires. The new Cooper st maxx tires give me ZERO vibration and aren't even noisy for a more MT type of tire (they are branded as an AT / MT hybrid). We will see how the skinnies do off road, but I have received glowing reviews from some FJ'ers I've reached out to. My final verdict is good shop, bad tire batch. The shop did everything they could do to help me make the situation better, so kudos to them. The new tire is a 255/85/16... same load range. Far better feeling on the FJ as well as the vibration fix. Thanks to everyone for hanging with me through this! Let's wheel!

Haha, I’ll load some up tomorrow. By the time I got done playing around and driving different places it was dark. I did a long gravel road, highway, and all over the neighborhoods around here. Definitely will load some up though. Can’t wait to get them muddy.

AC0976C3-E2E6-4D63-B4DC-AC06070F7EC2.jpeg

C93A8779-3126-410F-A502-9C5026E90FA7.jpeg

A05050FC-ECC6-4405-8A5F-CC3CDBC15D68.jpeg

Mail truck from the front :D

A6EB571E-2184-4486-91A5-14ACCC8D5F6B.jpeg

990D7EC3-EC72-4A4A-AB2F-1C4EDE09E45D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom