My Tire Problem (SOLVED!) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
*See Later Posts for Issue*

I figured I would end the hijack and just start a separate thread. I have a couple options and need some advice. First... The facts:

I previously had Nitto Terra Grapplers and the were smooth as butter, kinda loud (don't care too much), and generally gave me no issues. They were 265 (stock size) on factory TRD 16 inch rims.

I installed my OME lift with @Stumpalama a few days back and installed new SPC Upper control arms which are adjustable. We set the UCAs to the forum recommended and manufacture recommended settings for the lift installed. The FJ rode fantastic.

I took the FJ in for a larger 285/75/16 tire (nothing dramatic) and an alignment. The alignment tech said it was good and the UCAs were set where he didn't need to mess with them. The truck is tracking pretty good, but it seems squarely. The ride was not good. Tons of vibration. I took the FJ back that afternoon and the rebalanced the tires on a more recently calibrated hunter road force. The ride is still not good at all. The difference is night and day from before. They said that was about as good as they could get them although they did say on the second balance they "removed a lot of weight." As previously mentioned they also but on 13/16 lug nuts to replace my security lugs, but whatever... That will get fixed. I talked to TireBuyer today and the have agreed to give me a refund, and the guy at the tire shop said he would "sell me different tires" if I wanted.

**note** I have aired down with no appreciable vibration relief.

I called around today and read some reviews... there is a place in Manassas (close to me) called Coho automotive that seems to have a good rep for balancing. This is going to run me close to 120 bucks.... It is Hunter Road Force balancing. The dude from Coho sounded pretty confident and said to drop it off Tuesday morning.

So...... do I keep throwing money at balancing these (will not try again at initial shop), or find a new tire and have these sent back?

What is the consensus on 255/85/16's as opposed to 285/75/16's? I have heard they are easy to balance, better for MPG's but may be slightly noisy and also not as good in snow etc..... Some people love them, some don't. Ive never had a skinny except on my mini truck years ago and it was a MT.

Here is a link to the ones that pop up a lot. The options in both sizes are very limited but even more so in the 255. Thanks guys! Talk me off of a ledge here!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Cooper&tireModel=Discoverer+S/T+Maxx&partnum=585QR6DSTM&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Thanks guys! Tell me what to do...lol

Last edited:
Squirreliness is usually out of spec castor. Can you post up your alignment numbers? I had 255/85/16s on my black 80 and it definitely wandered more on the road than my 285/75/16s did. Any 285 AT tire, especially new should balance out fairly easy if the rim isn't bent. Can you swap the fronts to the back and see if it's any better?

The new UCA pushes the caster up 2 degrees to get it in spec. I think the vibration is my biggest concern. I only bring up pizza cutters because they have a dedicated following in the fj cruiser forum... but then again so did the 285 wild peak folks... I like the look of skinnys but I don't know what to do.... hmmmm.....

image-jpg.1887902

Costco will balance 4 tires for ~$25 if you want to save a little dough. Don't know what kind of system they use though. They were able to balance my 315 fwiw.

Ok, so I just got off the phone with the tire shop. They are "unsure" if they road force balanced the tires but are going to try one more time free of charge tomorrow morning and replace the incorrect lug nuts. I have to say I will give them credit for trying again and getting the correct lugs on there. I really didn't want to miss tech day ..... boo

maybe its just super loose? I know the 13/16 fit on it and the 21 mil I have was loose.. the 13/16 would not fit over my other 21 mil lugs... I suppose it could just be difference in manufacture, but there is a lot of play on the new ones with a 21 mil socket..

Fair enough. 21 mills going on tomorrow. I am hopeful this next balance will take care of it. 3rd time is a charm. Could be a bad tire in the mix too I suppose. I guess that happens. If they are unable to balance out I will just return them and try something else.

Boggers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom