My swingout fuel can carrier build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.roamingazexpeditions.com
My swingout fuel can carrier build up

I wanted a swing out fuel can carrier that was soild, hold 2 Sceptor cans , and I wanted to keep my stock bumper. I have seen a lot of swing out carriers but they all hold a tire and 1 fuel can, I keep my spare on the roof rack and it works well for me.I also have seen a bunch of ideas by taking out the rear or 3rd row seats, but I have 6 kids :rolleyes: and NEED the 3rd row of seats.
So I spent today making the first part of the carrier.:popcorn:

First up was to remove the plastic bumper cover and grind off the tabs that they bolt to.

landcruiser003.jpg

landcruiser001.jpg

landcruiser002.jpg

Next up was to weld renforcement to the frame

landcruiser004.jpg

landcruiser005.jpg

Now for the piece that holds the pivot, I needed it to be solid and I wanted to use the ends as a lifting area for my HI-lift.
I used some 3" square tube I had laying around and it made a nice solid support and covers up with the stock bumperettes.
landcruiser008.jpg

landcruiser007.jpg
landcruiser008.jpg
landcruiser009.jpg

its not fully welded and holds my 250 pound friend no problem .

landcruiser006.jpg

Pivot time , I was going to buy a spindle like everyone else but decided to just make my own. I used 1 1/4 " .120 tubing for the pivot and 1 1/2 will fit nice over that. plenty beefy and will hold a full fuel can no problem.

landcruiser012.jpg

landcruiser013.jpg

Then we put the metal cover back on and welded the bottom bolt bracket back on but left the top piece off. also drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the bumperette, and welded a piece of tubing on the pivot to keep the carrier from sliding down .
tomarrow will be the rest of the build, stay tuned.

landcruiser014.jpg

landcruiser015.jpg

landcruiser011.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, are you not using any bearings for the spindles?

My bumper doesn't. I don't see why they're really necessary, it's not as if it does 1000 rpm's! With the kind of leverage you have on it it doesn't even need to be smooth.

Looks good, are you not using any bearings for the spindles?

I was going to use spindles with bearings, but they are about $50 each and since I am doing a holder on each side I decided the money could be spent elseware. These holders are only going to be for 1 fuel can on each side, so maybe 50-60 pounds max.
I haven't decided how to latch them let, I want something that will be easy to undo, maybe a simple hitch pin like I did on my trailer I'm building.
I have a thread in the trailer section https://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/212027-my-off-road-trailer-build.html

:hmm:

I wish I could weld.:frown:

I would suggest that you put some gussets on that spindle. 60lbs doesn't sound like a lot, but if you put it on a carrier and you get vibrations going down to the spindle it will eventually fatigue the metal right above your weld (where the tube meets the arm) and it will break.

Also, get something that latches tight, otherwise you are going to have a rattle trap on your hands.

nice to see some creative thinking.

you do like cantilevers, evidently. You sure that putting 1500 lbs or more on the end of that square beam will not bend anything at the frame?

Might have also been stronger to have the round tube go through the square one and be welded on both sides?

I was just thinking if I put the tubing in the beam and welded top and bottom it would stronger. I don't see a problem with lifting the truck from the beams. The frame is boxed and gusseted very well in the corner. I am doing this build on trial and error if it doesn't work I will start over. I appriciate all the ideas. I still have no good idea as to a latch. I am thinking a hitch pin in the pivot and a T handle bolt on the bottom.

I didn't get too much else done today on my carrier, I was going to use square tubing but it was a pain to get the angles I needed so I ordered 1 " round.
Heres a pic. of how it all covers up with the bumper covers. I need to do some adjustment on the pass. side to be even.

landcruiser001.jpg

This is a close up of the tubing that will be pivot. very solid .120 .

landcruiser003.jpg

I found a nice latch at the off road store today, looks hevay enough to hold it all tight and easy access without undoing locks or pins.

landcruiser002.jpg

OK, I'll go on a limb, at the risk of displeasing you, sorry, but will say so anyway in case it saves you aggravation later on: IMO your pivot tube looks like it won't hold very long. I agree with Christo (who knows much more about this than I do of course). I can see fatigue cracks developing quickly at or near the weld and the thing failing there especially if you go a lot on rough roads and experience vibrations. Sorry to be blunt. Nice go at it, though. I hope I'm wrong.

I will take the advise from the more experienced and I am adding gussets to the pivot tube.and to the support beam.
I agree that vibration will crack my welds and having a fuel can fall off wouldn't be good.I am considering a tire carrier on one side and 1 or 2 fuel on the other. These projects never go as planned but that's part of the fun.
I am thinking of buying a couple fuel carriers from adventure trailers.it would be a clean set up that way.

You are doing a lot of work. I would really spend the money on good spindles. Those are going to rattle and not last very long.

Also, make sure you know how those over the center latches work before you mount them. If not done correctly it will not stay shut.

I finally was able to get more done on my swing outs.

landcruiser005-1.jpg

landcruiser003-1.jpg

landcruiser006-1.jpg

landcruiser007-1.jpg

landcruiser009-1.jpg

Up next , I am going to weld some gusset's on the pivot tubes and reinforce the frame area so I can jack up the truck with out any problems. Then sanding, paint, and a hole in the pivot for a hitch pin. I am also adding some rubber shims under the carrier to help with rattles, so far no rattles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom