My Starter Is Stuck On (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been having starter problems for a month now. It would just click, and it would take a few tries to get it to turn. It seemed better when it was warm, and it seemed to work better if I turned the key with snappy motion.

Just now, I got it to turn but then it kept on cranking even though I had removed the key. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop.

I got a new starter/solenoid to put in. Does that sound like the culprit, or does it sound like it is the ignition switch?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Andrew

Mine used to do the same thing until I put in a new starter. I serious doubt it is the ignition switch. Sounds like you are on the right track. The solenoid should fix the problem.

If your key springs back from "Start" to "On" like it should, it's probably the solenoid.

Check for a ground short in the cable between the battery and the stater. It happened to me once with a Scout that I left in gear. The little guy cranked across the street and high centered itself on my neighbors wall.

I am not positive, but a bad plunger and or contacts might bind up and keep spinning pull your starter and take it apart, contact and plunger were only $11.00 and about 20 minutes work total fixed my starting problems.

For sure you need to rebuild the starter. This is a known issue with toyota starters. Rebuild parts are cheap, and it's easy to do. One bananna.

Thanks for the replies, eveyone. I am quite glad to hear that it
probably isn't the ignition switch.

I will do a "trail repair" (it is in the parking lot at work) this week.

Andrew

Well, a bad ignition switch ($15.00 used) isn't so bad actually - if you had the choice between it and a starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom