My son needed a senior project, to graduate so its a FJ80 6BT swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am not a huge writer, so I'll be short, I have had my components for a while, just waiting for the time to do it, and then my son tells me Dad, I need a senior project, of something I am interested in ( he makes knives and likes them, but the school would not allow this) I told him Ok we can do my swap. Day one, we took the body off the frame, these pictures are 2nd day

20170325_114801 (1).jpg

20170325_140525.jpg

I have done some of these before, and we found out that, pulling the whole body off the frame, so you can get to everything, and route the hoses, this is my personal FJ 80 I am going with a Diesel Adapters kit and a 6BT

Is that a Launch Tech lift?

If so, I have the same one - familiar sight.

Does the project have to be done before graduation?

Last edited:
Does the project have to done before graduation?

Yes he had to get an extension, due to some personal set back's, he has until April 14, I will have the motor and trans in by Wed, probably install the body, Thursday and hopefully running by Saturday

Yes he had to get an extension, due to some personal set back's, he has until April 14, I will have the motor and trans in by Wed, probably install the body, Thursday and hopefully running by Saturday
That must be a record time! Seems very fast to me. I look forward to following your progress.

Good God!
I have more time in yanking and rebuilding a SBC for my old pickup.........

That must be a record time! Seems very fast to me. I look forward to following your progress.

I have helped with 4, of them, and if you know the in's and outs of this swap it's pretty easy, you just need to know what to do, and I have already got my 6BT, ready with all the accessories on it from Diesel Adapters

Making my son do the dirty work, cleaning this 248K mile, piece of art, only did about 2 hours today cleaning and setting the valves correctly, I had the head redone, before, it is installed, also had my son put the Diesel Adapters Bell housing on after he removed the stock one off the 343F, I am not sure if I'll put the motor and tranny in tomorrow, or wait and put new motor mounts

9768.jpeg

There is nothing better than cleaning up something that doesnt typically get cleaned with a pressure washer. Its one of my favorite things to do on a new project, especially power washing 20 year old interior carpet!

Man, I wish my old man had been into wrenching and done something like this with me. Lucky kid being able to have this experience. Definitely should earn some bragging rights at school. Good work, keep it
up. He looks kind of unhappy or just really concentrated cleaning that chassis, but the devil is in the details, it's the small things that make the vehicle easier and nicer to work on.

Ok day 4 put the motor and transmission together, yesterday drained the fuel tank and pulled a bunch of stuff off. Put all the fuel lines on, most guy's just rattle can paint their motors, me I am about some bling, tomorrow, we will drop the motor and tranny in, and drop the body

20170328_161406.jpg

20170328_152512.jpg

20170328_161414.jpg

Man, I wish my old man had been into wrenching and done something like this with me. Lucky kid being able to have this experience. Definitely should earn some bragging rights at school. Good work, keep it
up. He looks kind of unhappy or just really concentrated cleaning that chassis, but the devil is in the details, it's the small things that make the vehicle easier and nicer to work on.

I went a little crazy and repainted it too :flipoff2:

That is AWESOME. I bought an old 5.0 mustang in high school. Had a blown head gasket so I rebuilt the motor with a old hermit who knows everything about cars. Thats when I got the bug. Ever since then I have been the weird friend/family member that is always buying or selling something and driving around junky cars. But I LOVE IT!

My grandfather was a big car guy. Ran the Cadillac plant in Detroit for quite a while. But we never had the opportunity to talk about cars or work on them. So I had to learn it on my own. But I look forward to the day when I can work on them with my children. Thanks for sharing this cool project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom