My Slow Build of The Blue Beast! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First of all I want to day thanks to everyone for the wealth of information on this forums without it I would be lost.

Around 10 months ago I purchased my first fj60 a few months after seeing one for sell and falling in love with them. I purchased an 84 FJ60 with around 288k miles.

The PO had inherited this from his uncle and had let his teenagers drive it and most of the maintenance had slipped. I looked it over and decided it was something work taking on. I haggled and picked it up for $800. The fuel gauge was not working but the PO said he always reset the tip counter and that he usually got around 200 miles on a tank it was sitting around 120 miles. I made it 4 blocks and ran out of gas. Called the PO and he ran we some gas. I drove the rest of the way home with no problems.

Drivers Side.jpg

Got to work reading the forums to find out what to do first I purchased a used drivers door handle. I also purchased a set of Nexan Rodian II 31” tires to pass inspection. Being middle of summer I was really wanting some AC . All the original equipment was there minus the AC belt. I hoped the PO’s kids had just been too lazy to replace it and I was right. AC working but not blowing cold I found some r12 on local classifieds site and recharged and it is still blowing cold today with no leaks.

I started by replacing plug, wires and distributor cap and rotor. This improved my mileage by around double! My pocket book was happy. Also fixed the fuel sending unit so I knew how much was in the tank.

The main reason I purchased the FJ60 was I have two kids and a dog and needed something to go camping in. After driving the truck to work and back for a few weeks working out the kinks I took the family on a trip. We went to the mountains around 40 miles on way on hwy and the rest on mountain roads. Now I had been driving this for a while and come to terms with the lack of power. Well what I experienced was a clutch going out just so happens that kills your power...:rolleyes:

Over the next couple of weeks I babied it and researched clutch replacement. We took one more trip up the mountain against my better judgement as my then 3 year old son begged me to take the truck. We made it around 8 miles up the mountain before the clutch totally burned up. I spend a good portion of that evening getting the truck home. :eek:

Let me say I am not a mechanic never have been but love working with my hands and I feel I am mechanically inclined. I started taking bolts out with the help of post on the forums here. It took me (yes I did this all by my self) around 1.5 weeks of after work work. I got everything replaced and experienced new found power! I also desmoged around the same time that helped as well. I also replaced the intake manifold gasket. Enjoyed driving the FJ60 for hunting season and spent my night browsing the forums and see what I wanted to do next.

I installed a new Battery and I also installed a set of PT cruiser seats.

Centercon.jpg

This took me to last winter and I have a very small one car garage and did not work on anything but small parts upgrades. Installed a new set of hood bumpers. I also cleaned up the rust on the hood a painted over it to protect it.

Headon.jpg
Drivers Side.jpg
Centercon.jpg
Headon.jpg

No mentioned this so far but this is an budget build and I am always on the look out for a good deal on something I need. Well again on the local classifieds site I found a set of rear hatches as mine are rusted mainly the bottom one.

Rear.jpg

The tailgate and hatch that I found had a good sized dent and sadly I forgot to take a picture before I started to work on it. Here is a pick of the hatch with similar depth dent and style. The old owner of these backed into a tree. :doh: I paid 40 dollars for the set!

IMG_0088.jpg

First thing I did was cut the back of the tailgate out to get at the back of the dent to push it out. This is my first time doing body work but I researched some online. I hammered and work the metal slowly out. Perfection is not my goal but here is what I got to with one Saturday working on this.

IMG_0026[1].jpg

Bondo is only 1/8 ish inch thick.
Rear.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0026[1].jpg

Lots of sanding and some glazing putty here is what I have.

IMG_0075[1].jpg

Got my now 4 year old in on the action of cleaning everything up before paint.

IMG_0077[1].jpg

I plan in the future to have the whole truck painted but I wanted to protect the work I did so I had a can of paint mixed to match the truck and sprayed away. Here is work after primer.

IMG_0083[1].jpg
IMG_0075[1].jpg
IMG_0077[1].jpg
IMG_0083[1].jpg

Here is what it looks like tonight after color.

IMG_0086[1].jpg

Like I said before not looking for perfection just decent.

Also recently I put new Home Depot carpet in the back of the truck. Here is the progress. I will get a completion shot tomorrow in the light.

IMAG0046.jpg

Short term plan are to install some fj62 rear springs that I purchased for cheap with some KYB shocks I just need to get some new ubolts for cheap and some bushings but I should get those in the near future.

Also need to rebuild the carb and have the fuel tank replaced under recall.

Sorry for the wall of text I am trying to be better about taking pictures.
IMG_0086[1].jpg
IMAG0046.jpg

It is under recall. You can call toyota and they can check with your VIN if your has been done. I also think there is a seat belt recall for the rear seats.

Good job and welcome to the insanity. I'm like you in the sense of I enjoy working with my hands and this forum has been an incredible help! Keep slugging away, you'll get there.

I could have swore I posted this yesterday but I can not see it. Here is a pick before I swapped the tailgate.

Photo Apr 04, 5 44 35 PM.jpg

And after
Photo Apr 04, 6 32 36 PM.jpg

Also here is a picture of the carpet install that I did.

Photo Apr 04, 6 37 08 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 04, 5 44 35 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 04, 6 32 36 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 04, 6 37 08 PM.jpg

Well I got started on repairing the dent in the rear hatch. Here is the progress before any bondo or glazing putty.

Photo Apr 09, 5 41 26 PM.jpg

primed up
Photo Apr 09, 6 35 16 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 09, 6 35 16 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 09, 5 41 26 PM.jpg

Been on the road for work most of the week but I managed to get the rear leafs and shocks replaced. This is a poor mans build so I installed some used fj62 leafs. Also installed some kyb shocks. I measured from the ground to the top of the bumper before 22" and after install and a break in ride I am now at 23.5". 1.5 inch lift and much needed repair.

Needed a little help from the hot wrench to get the old ones off but all in all it was an easy job only took around 4 hours.
image-1635334267.jpg
image-3313635771.jpg

I have not planned out much but my short term list is.

Carb rebuild
Front knuckle rebuild
Fix rust on rear wheel wells
Other misc body work

That's all I really have planned at the moment.

Well I am in the process of moving into a new house so I have made no progress. I decided not to rebuild and just ordered a Trollhole carb. I will soon have two carbs for sell. Anyone know a ball park price to sell one on Mud that is in need of a rebuild?

Also my new to me rear springs did not get me as much lift as I expected so my wife is ordering me some long add a leafs from Man a fre.

Well been very busy so no work on the cruiser :( rear springs seem to be better I think I had over tightened them so they could not spring back.

Saving money for a front knuckle rebuild if anyone has some pointers I am all ears.

If you are still looking for the front knuckle rebuild look at CruiserOutfitters (kurt from cruiseroutfit on here) as they have the fronts for $92 a side. They are located in So Utah so you could take a little trip and pick them up yourself to save some money!

Been a while since I updated. I did say slow build right!!?? Not much new I will be having a new thrush muffler and getting new tail pipe tomorrow.

Re lubed both diffs and going to get two new rust/dent free front fenders and a rear door. (massive dent in mine. PO)

Planning for some major face lift work once the weather warms up here in utah. including a custom aluminum front bumper.

And I have started practicing my painting skills. Will be posting pictures I might even give a sneak peak of the bumper before its done.

Can't say enough about the knowledge on these forums and the help that's here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom