My single owner FJ62 “Sandcruiser” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Columbia South Carolina and Cedar Mountain NC
F1FE78A5-1D1D-4924-9FF6-D918E4AD716C.jpeg
B192FA31-FE71-4EE6-955F-46D101A6D6A6.jpeg
AF0BB2B3-AECE-4D06-AB37-4F045BEDD0E8.jpeg
39284561-49A9-489B-AE93-B81BA89EE5AC.jpeg
Fishing on Ocracoke Island,NC Outer Banks in my completely OEM stock, bought brand new 28 years ago, only owner, with 139,700 original authentic miles. 1990 FJ62 Sandcruiser. Rarely driven On Road.

WOW, a true rarity! Looks great.

What big ticket maintenance items have you had to tackle in 28 years and 140K miles?

What big ticket maintenance items have you had to tackle in 28 years and 140K miles?

None! Must be because I got this when I bought it.
F542C437-B627-407A-BBCC-208FD911DAB2.jpeg
117ACD26-871A-4C60-9354-E335B4034B05.jpeg
2462D492-D5B6-4459-A437-2F13A381B0F4.jpeg

Replaced battery, tires, filters, oil, antifreeze and some chrome trim under the doors. Oh, and a headlight. Normal maintenance. It does need a new exhaust pipe and muffler that rusted out although just driving it a 100 mi a year for surf fishing I don’t really need it.
This thing is built like a tank.

So your truck is special because you barely drive it and haven’t done anything to make it unique? Sounds like a ton of fun

So your truck is special because you barely drive it and haven’t done anything to make it unique? Sounds like a ton of fun

Thanks for those kind words Matt. It is special for many of the reasons yours is that you so passionately outlined in your thread.

I’m the father who bought this for my wife to drive our kids safely to school and for our vacation trips. I “inherited” it when she wanted a station wagon. We moved it to Ocracoke since it’s an awesome fishing machine. Very small island so I can be on the beach in less than five minutes and can drive on 13 miles of pristine undeveloped uncrowned beach.
So barely driven is not that accurate. I drive it hard when I’m there. Kept it mostly garaged and washed over and under after saltwater exposure and waxed. It’s got just a few small areas of rust less than a quarter size in the body. It starts on first crank after sitting sometimes for 6 mo over the winter. And I prefer LCs remaining mostly stock. I have two others as you see in my avatar. So yes, it is special.
5CB2761A-8D50-48CE-B9AF-9B9BF00A9161.jpeg

I consider my 60 special, and I've only had it three years. I've already made amazing memories with it. My two young children love it too. I've done a few things to make it unique, in my opinion.

But if I had my Cruiser since new! And fished countless times on the beach while taking exceptional, loving care of it the whole time to keep it in amazing condition.

Damn right I'd think it special. Of the 40,000 or so 60s and 62s imported to the US over the years, yours has to be one of the few single owner specimens out there still generating copious amounts of smiles per mile.

Congrats to you on one amazing rig!

Regardless. An amazing rig for all the right reasons. Thanks for sharing it with us. Much appreciated. Like to see such pedigree.

This really pisses me off. Just because someone doesn't enjoy they vehicle like you do ...you think they are lame!? I enjoy my relatively stock cruiser for what it is and find this highly insulting. Here are some shots of my vehicle being enjoyed on the beach at Cape Lookout NC, thanks for sharing the shot of the "Sandcruiser"

cape lookout 6-2017 cruiser behind cedar root.jpg
KAv11i195c.jpg
DSCN0055.JPG

None! Must be because I got this when I bought it.
View attachment 1699860 View attachment 1699861 View attachment 1699862

Replaced battery, tires, filters, oil, antifreeze and some chrome trim under the doors. Oh, and a headlight. Normal maintenance. It does need a new exhaust pipe and muffler that rusted out although just driving it a 100 mi a year for surf fishing I don’t really need it.
This thing is built like a tank.

Spoke too soon. The dreaded three lights came on two days ago- Brake,Charge, ATP. This forum indicates the alternator may being going. The volt meter started to drop and Yesterday it died while driving. Jumped it, 3 lights went cleared and checked multimeter. Alternator not charging so getting replaced. :(. First “major” ticket item and I have every single repair record for in my glove compartment.

Do yourself a favor and take the alternator to a good alternator shop and have them rebuild it. Then replace the voltage regulator yourself...pretty easy. VR are available from toyota. Alternators bought at auto parts stores can be sketchy in my opinion.

Well, I’m on a small island with a single garage. I have no tools with me. They will replace tomorrow. It has to be brought by ferry. I’ll keep the original Toyota alt and just give up the core charge. Maybe rebuild and replace in future.

No notes in the manual. Untouched.

Mom and Pop and Son place. Been looking after Sandcruiser for years. When I broke down on road yesterday. Jamie, who now runs the garage was driving by. He asked if it died while driving. “Probably alternator, bring it by shop in the morning.” When I dropped it off he asked if he could drive me home. Most are genuine folks here.
D2878B16-FDB6-47E5-9F52-69A382656673.jpeg
516F5AA1-940C-4270-BBB2-C1C889FBA3D1.jpeg

Beautiful 62 Mr Sandcruiser!
I love the story, pedigree, originality and especially your family history in the rig. Stuff money cant buy!
And what a cool pic fishing off the front bumper with the pup! Living right!

I gotta see if my rear hitch receiver will fit on the front like that. That looks to be the best option for a surf rack.

I had a welding shop put a front receiver on it years ago. Then I got a surf rack from the local tackle shop that simply slides in. Its great. Having a front receiver is good for moving things around like trailers.

I'll bet Jamie knows a guy that rebuilds alternators!

I don't think he wants to be bothered. The guy is so busy especially during tourist season.

I'll take it back home to SC and see about it there. Its amazing, now that I've been on Mud for a few months, to see all the original parts with labels in my engine bay. And comparing it to some of the rigs I've seen on this forum during build threads how mine has held up with just a little care even in this salt water use environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom