My second 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I just purchased my second 40. Its a 12/1964 FST that is currently in pretty rough shape. I purchased it with the intention of it being a long term project. The tub is straight and in pretty nice shape, considering its age (its amazing to see the difference in the thickness of the metal between this rig and my 76). The frame is stock and hasn't been cut up at all. Its currently sitting on stock axles and the front third is missing. It doesn't have an engine or transmission. The owner tells me this rig was used as a donor for another restoration. I don't plan on doing full blown period correct restoration. I want to make some upgrades, 2f, 4 spd, etc. So, my questions is... Do you guys think I should install a later model wiring harness? (It currently doesn't have one). With the stock motor mounts, will a 2f be a pretty straight forward upgrade as far as mods go? You guys helped me tons with my 76 project. What do you guys think? any feedback is appreciated. Pics will come as soon as I get that thing in my driveway...

One more thing. It does not have a steering column or steering gear box. Would it be best to install an original steering column or a newer model column?

Last edited:
So, I finally got the 64 this afternoon. I have to be honest, Once I had it parked it my driveway, I thought to myself "what did it I get myself into?" Here are some pictures.
SAM_0341.JPG
SAM_0342.JPG
SAM_0348.JPG
SAM_0350.JPG

SAM_0344.JPG

Over all, the body is in pretty nice shape. The only flaws I see are a few surface rust spots on the driver side floor board and some bubbling on the right side rear sill. The body is much better that the body on my 76 was when I bought it.

It has no engine, transmission, steering components, front third, wiring harness etc... the list goes on and on. I noticed when I was towing it, that the front axle casing was hacked with a saw and has a huge cut. Ill have to replace it completely.

I have the front right fender, it will definitely need some work. It came with a set hard doors that are in pretty nice shape.

So, I finally got the 64 this afternoon. I have to be honest, Once I had it parked it my driveway, I thought to myself "what did it I get myself into?"

Maybe PO thought the same ?

:cheers:

It will take ALOT to get it back to stock... Find the next available rust bucket and swap all the good over :)

If you find something 63 to later part of 60's as a donor for the donor that would be great

What exactly would you do with this as a done rig?

Thanks for your input.

It'll mostly be used for weekend trips to my kids games. The kids love riding on the 76, But they always ask to have to top off. Very light wheeling to the local hiking trails. Nothing extreme.

So, I'm starting a list of parts I need to get this project started.

What do you guys think about swapping in a set of fj60 axles. The front axle on this rig is going to the scrap yard. I'd like disk brakes up front. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom