My rebuild thread

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by mattimooseprime, Jan 4, 2019.

1. mattimooseprime

mattimooseprime

alrighty, did a little more work today. I dropped the Injectors off to be tested, so we'll hear results of that hopefully soon. Popped the cam' into each cylinder, and there's no bits down in them and theres only light carbon marks of valves on a few of the cylinder number 3 and 4 respectively, which seems to be "normal" in terms of my research on the 1hdt. sorry for the dirty screen in the one photo.

I then drained my oil and saw no bearing flakes, thank god! I tried to get the cam up there to look but it's a crappy one so I couldn't see much. I'm still preparing to do BEB's just for s***s because why not.

IMG_20190111_122620.jpg

IMG_20190111_122732.jpg

2. mattimooseprime

mattimooseprime

Also, I'm prepping for the ACSD removal and have a few questions I can't seem to quite find the anwser to. I remove the vac valve off the top which has the cold idle adjustment, and do i remove the solenoid over by the battery as well and plug the vac port down on the vacuum pump?

I think some of my confusion is all the photo's I see are possibly cruise control model rigs and have a bunch of other / different things down there.

I see conflicting information on plugging the two coolant lines versus hooking them together. does it actually matter?

I want to make a fresh writeup on this when I do it since a lot of the old ones are missing photos. Just want it to be correct to help out future issues with other people.

IMG_20190111_132947.jpg

IMG_20190111_132951.jpg

IMG_20190111_132956.jpg

IMG_20190111_133008.jpg

IMG_20190111_133038.jpg

3. HillCountryTX

HillCountryTX

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey @mattimooseprime , I saw that you're going to be removing your ACSD from your injection pump. If it helps, see the following link from a post I made when I removed my ACSD from our 1991 1-HDT injection pump. It's at: ACSD Removal 1HD-T

I just connected the two coolant ports together with about 15-16 inches of coolant hose and some smaller hose clamps to hold the ends on. The crux to this whole ACSD removal is how tight/stuck your hex key bolts are that hold the ACSD onto the injection pump. If they are not crazy tight then removal is pretty straightforward. If they are stuck you end up having to be 'creative' I guess.

Hope this helps you out! We don't have cruise control on our 91 HDJ81, but it a manual (5-speed) as well, so perhaps there may be some differences.

4. Feistl

Feistl

The theory is good (the oil gets around the rings and helps seal) but if the pistons have deep domes in the middle (eg direct injection) the oil never makes it to the rings.

5. mudgudgeon

mudgudgeon

Good point. Just means you need to be clever about how you put oil in

6. mattimooseprime

mattimooseprime

I doubt it's actually a compression issue, pretty sure it was due to not being able to get the quick connect on it effectively. I'll be able to do it again soon, when my new tester arrives in the mail.

On an unrelated note to compression and back to the acsd - the Allen /hex head bolt struggles most people have kinda make me lol a bit. Not in a mean way, just a "lol I know thenstruggles". I work with stainless hex daily so I was pretty prepared. They came out smooth :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. mattimooseprime

mattimooseprime

results from my injectors came in, they're pretty much shot. Going to the shop tomorrow to discuss rebuilding them, or buying new. also hopefully picking up a acsd blockoff plate as well.

Other than that, I haven't really progressed much. weather's been s*** and work's been busy.

8. HillCountryTX

HillCountryTX

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey @mattimooseprime , see my thread at 1HD-T injector removal prep for what I did for my injectors (I ended up going with new injectors). The price difference was about $60 per injector more for new injectors versus reconditioning my old ones. Hope this helps!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.