My Rear Drawer/Speaker Box Combo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I broke out the power tools Friday and whipped this up. My goal was to create a low-profile drawer (low enough that Nieko wouldn't be able to bonk his head on the roof and yet large enough to clear a Birf).

The drawer is 6" high. The frame is constructed with 2x6 board, the top with 5/8" particle board and the drawer with 1x6 top choice.

The sliders I purchased at local warehouse here. I didn't need the super long ones as another goal I had in mind is to get a little more bass out of the stereo, so I created a internal speaker box in the top half of the box. In there, I will be able to mount a 10" sub and also conceal a little amp for the sub as well.

Handle hardware and top carpet compliments of Home Depot, the drawer face is some old Sunbrella material I had laying around.

PICS:

RDweb001.jpg

RDweb002.jpg

RDweb003.jpg

RDweb004.jpg

Looks great. You seriously knock out some projects on that 80. I wish I had the skills to do some of the work that you do, not to mention the motivation.

That looks great - now to get off my lazy ass and build one -

Looks great, is it secured down in any way or just placed in there? Ditto on the write up if you dont mind

LR_RESQ said:
Would you be willing to do a full write-up on this like you did on the Moose Rack?

Rats, I knew I should have taken pics as I went along.... I'll sketch you out the "floorplan" of it and you can go from there. :grinpimp:

How's this hitech drawing.....:rolleyes: :D

I used Gorilla Glue on all joints before screwing things together. I ruined a pair of cargo pants playing with this crap.... note to self: wear old clothes when playing with glue.:eek:
80boxplan.jpg

Here's how I strapped it down. (see green parts in pic).

I used the third row seat bars that are mounted on top of the rear wheel wells and used an old ratchet strap hook and nylon strap, then I merely screwed it in to the ends of the 2x6 pieces. If you look at the pic above (pic two) you will see the ends of the strap screwed to the end of the 2x6's. This more so just holds the unit in the truck when I am pulling out the drawer. There are also two little cubby holes on each side that are somewhat hidden when the drawer is shut.

One could utilize the same bars to make another strap across the top, from seat mount to seat mount.
80boxstraps.jpg

One other point I forgot to mention, I had to swing the second row seat backs forward inorder to get the top piece in. When you put the seat backs back, it snugs things up quite a bit. Also, with the drawer handles, there is just the perfect amount of tension on the system when the tailgate is closed that it will not move at all.

:popcorn:

Hey, Johnny.

Great looking drawer there.

In order for me to hit my quota of thread hijacks, I'm using this opp to ask:

What all do you kids have in that drawer? I see the extinguisher and the tow strap(s).

Oh, and what is the bottom of the drawer made out of? Can't be 5/8" particle...too warpy in the middle under load, no? :confused:

Awesome project and final result. Enjoy! :beer:

That looks real sweet. Fits well too. Good work!:cheers:

Truckasaurus said:
Hey, Johnny.

Great looking drawer there.

In order for me to hit my quota of thread hijacks, I'm using this opp to ask:

What all do you kids have in that drawer? I see the extinguisher and the tow strap(s).

Oh, and what is the bottom of the drawer made out of? Can't be 5/8" particle...too warpy in the middle under load, no? :confused:

Awesome project and final result. Enjoy! :beer:

Truck - I keep tools, first aid kit, axe, air compresser, recovery gear, manuals, hand cleaners, fire ext., spare parts, and toilet paper:D in there. Plenty of room.

Yes, the floor is 5/8" There is really no flex. The unit sits on the floor of the vehicle anyway so it can't flex too much! :D

nice job yoats

Nicely done; well integrated. Looks like it belongs there.

This is my next project!. I'm into practicality, and it's cost effective. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom