My Rear Drawer/Speaker Box Combo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

noah91fj80 said:
WildYotes do you by chance have the dimensions of the box

I certainly can get them to you. (in a little while-U2) :D

nice....

In the "speaker box" part, is there enough room for 2x 12" subs minus amp? Plus amp? I'm assuming that there is no easy access to that part unless you fold the second row seats up, is that correct?

I reckon you must be busy knocking out another project...if you can just get the dimensions up that would be good enough for me.

alkaline747trio said:
I reckon you must be busy knocking out another project...if you can just get the dimensions up that would be good enough for me.

Okay, here's the dimensions: Two 12's would be no problem, no amp with two twelves.
dimensions.jpg

OK, some further updates on the box/stereo:

I finally added a speaker and amp and did some wiring. Here you see my single Infiniti 1040 woofer and grill. Underneath, I went with a Profile (California Audio) single channel (for driving bass) amp. The amp came with a high level converter so it made wiring it up to the OEM small amp box in the rear panel a snap. The amp also has an adjustable bass dial that can be dash mounted, I mounted mine in the back storage box as shown.

Also, I added some power receptacles in the storage unit. I ran 4 gauge wiring to a fuse block which I mounted under the pass seat and branched off from there with two 8 gauge wires, one for the amp, the other for the power supply.

PICS:

iggeeweb1.jpg

Iggeeweb2.jpg

Iggeeweb3.jpg

Iggeeweb4.jpg

Johnny,

I like the looks of your drawer system and was curious if after having this drawer system for about a year, what impovements/modifications would you make if you did it again? Would you make it any taller or change the materials? How has the system for securing it to the vehicle held up?

Thanks,

Richard

rgsiii said:
Johnny,

I like the looks of your drawer system and was curious if after having this drawer system for about a year, what impovements/modifications would you make if you did it again? Would you make it any taller or change the materials? How has the system for securing it to the vehicle held up?

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Richard, so far so good. I am totally happy with the height and so are both of my dogs. I recently added a another board with carpet (stupid Home Depot changed the color of their carpet in the last few months forcing me to have a two tone now) that fits on top of the drawer when camping. This extended the "bed" if you will by a little bit.

The only other thing I changed was that I moved the amplifier out from under there. It was a pain under there (as far as adjusting) so I moved it up top.

Johnny

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the information. It is an interesting system and it looks well thought out.

Richard

This is great. Couple of questions, I assume you can just pull the whole thing out if you need to, and what did you use for the bottom of the drawer?

Any of you audio experts got a feel for how 12" subs would sound in that size closure?

Thanks,
Rookie2

Also, have you ported somewhere for air movement in and out of the sub enclosure?

Last edited:
I doubt it has the air space for 2 12's but it all depends on the sub. Each brand and sizes within brands have different requirements. Get the exact specs for the dimensions of the boxed area and that will give you the baseline to work with.

FWIW, I'm in the process of building a custom box to go into the passenger side panel that will accomodate a 10" shallow sub. It's possible a single 12" shallow design might fit in one of these boxes, too. It does involve cutting the interior panel, so it's not an easy bananna project, but with some help from someone who knows what they're doing it's not too bad, either. I did some of the work on this project, but a buddy of mine did most of the custom work. I'll start another thread with more details when it's completed.

WildYotes -- the box looks great, BTW. Nice concept.

Ed

Epic Ed said:
I doubt it has the air space for 2 12's but it all depends on the sub. Each brand and sizes within brands have different requirements. Get the exact specs for the dimensions of the boxed area and that will give you the baseline to work with.

I currently have the subs in a box and if you calculate the volumn, it's not as big as typically recommended for 12" subs, but I like the articulated thump that the smaller airspace gives. Is it basically just a staight volumn calculation or does the shape of the box play a big factor also? I think the airspace of this mod would be similar to the size of the space of the truncated triangular box the subs are in now, but this mod will have a flatter rectangular air space.

Thanks for any input.

Rookie2

Rookie2 said:
This is great. Couple of questions, I assume you can just pull the whole thing out if you need to, and what did you use for the bottom of the drawer?

Any of you audio experts got a feel for how 12" subs would sound in that size closure?

Thanks,
Rookie2

Also, have you ported somewhere for air movement in and out of the sub enclosure?

It is impossible to know how a generic 12" sub would sound in that enclosure. Each sub is designed for a specific volume. Putting a sub that needs a specific volume in a space too small or too large will compromise that specific subs ability to accurately reproduce sound. There are probably some low volume 12" subs that would fit with that amount of volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom