Builds My 40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I started on this Jeep in the mid 80's. Cannot believe it has been that long. It started out with a rusty non running 72. So far I have bought 4 different 40. All of them were rusty and not running. Over the years the build has changed several times, first was a SBC 4 speed, 6.2 diesel 4 speed, 4.3 automatic, a mudder type build and now going back to a close to stock rebuild. Will be using an F.5 engine and 4 speed. Engine is at the machine shop being rebuilt. In the 90's I installed a rancho lift kit, swapped in a 77 disc brake front axle and installed all new brakes. Plan on sending my new brake cylinders, calipers, clutch and brake cylinders to be sleeved with stainless steel inserts. The rancho lift might be replaced. Still debating about that. Hopefully I can get the chassis finished sometime this year. Then to start working on the body. At least the body parts I have are virtually rust free.

Last edited:
Persistence accomplishes all things started

This place ought to keep you on track and motivated, if you don't run out of money first. Show us some pics of the progress and what your doing. BTW welcome.

Finally removed the body from the frame. Been working on radiator location today. Using double belt pulley. Found out the 72 frame is a bit different than the 77 donor. Had to slot the radiator support holes in frame and drill a new hole for the support rod. Should be able to get a condensor between radiator and bib. Now to work on adding the FJ60 steering sector.

Last edited:
Have done very little to my build. Very busy at work. I did remove the rear inspection cover on the differential. Was a surprise, it has a loc-rite locker in it. Ring gear is marked from moisture.

Last edited:
Progress has been slow. Took a few hours before work to do a couple things to the Jeep. I removed the rancho springs, stripped my good frame and cut a rusty 74 frame apart. The wife is happy about my getting rid of the junk frame. Now I am wondering if I should get the frame hot dipped in galvanize or just a good cleaning and some chassis black sprayed on it. Been thinking about installing the later tube crossmember. Will be the perfect time to do it. Now if I just wasn't working 12 hours, 7 days a week.

Last edited:
I would split the frame, have the pieces galvanized individually. Then bolt it back together.
Progress has been slow. Took a few hours before work to do a couple things to the 40. I removed the rancho springs, stripped my good frame and cut a rusty 74 frame apart. The wife is happy about my getting rid of the junk frame. Now I am wondering if I should get the frame hot dipped in galvanize or just a good cleaning and some chassis black sprayed on it. Been thinking about installing the later tube crossmember. Will be the perfect time to do it. Now if I just wasn't working 12 hours, 7 days a week.

Have not had much time to do anything to the 40. Have been working 16 hours a day this week and maybe next week. Did call about getting the frame coated, they go by weight and it falls under the shop minimum of $258. Bad thing is it needs to be split apart to get to all surfaces. I really do not want to remove all the rivets. Looks like I will do maybe a sandblast and some chassis paint instead. Motor is at the rebuilders getting torn down. Bought a 4 speed conversion. Now to change the tube cross member for ebrake clearance. Will be removing the bottom leaf spring and maybe another one. Will be trying to get a little better ride with rancho springs if possible. Still need to get shocks. Probably will pick some rancho shocks up since they have a rebate. Probably not the best but it good enough for my piece of junk. Wanted to have it running by memorial weekend but that is not going to happen. I am now wanting to have it running and driving by July 4th. Will need to decide on what color I want to paint it. Hard to pick out a color. Bib, hood and windshield are white, doors are beige, top sides are rustic green, tub is light blue and fenders are NOS black, well those are the original colors. Will need to paint the firewall before I set the tub on the frame. Decisions, decisions, decisions............................

$258 doesn't seem bad.

I'm not far behind at 26 years... difference is it's been driven for than 22 years of that time.

:D

Bought a 4 speed transmission and transfer case. This has opened a basket of worms.

Wife and I had a calm discussion about this. They say silence is golden but not in this instance. I opened my big mouth and told her I had given away a complete 80k mile drivetrain when we moved. Now that was not bad but now I had to explain how much it is going to cost to replace everything. All went well until I got to the cost of rebuilding the engine. She said not one word when I quoted the engine rebuilders cost. So my build might be put on the back burner for a while. Have owned a 40 for over 30 years and still have not ever driven one. Really was looking forward to getting this on the road.

Last edited:
I'm thinking you need to show the wife pics of really tricked out FJ40's that SHE would be proud to own- - -also show her what tricked-out FJ40's are selling for- - -get your PR skills going here dude.

Bought a 4 speed transmission and transfer case. This has opened a basket of worms.

Wife and I had a calm discussion about this. They say silence is golden but not in this instance. I opened my big mouth and told her I had given away a complete 80k mile drivetrain when we moved. Now that was not bad but now I had to explain how much it is going to cost to replace everything. All went well until I got to the cost of rebuilding the engine. She said not one word when I quoted the engine rebuilders cost. So my build might be put on the back burner for a while. Have owned a 40 for over 30 years and still have not ever driven one. Really was looking forward to getting this on the road. View attachment 1449180

An economical way to get back on the road idea decent running F or 2 F. They can be had for around $500. Might not be the shiny new rebuild but you'd be on the road and not sleeping in the doghouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom