Builds My 40 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK, I understand...you must be self employed...No! Don't settle for a beater, You're on the right track though. Body does not have to be perfect, looks like all you need is to get rid of the rust that you can reasonably eliminate, bang out any dents that are easy to attack, sand out the rust areas then spray on some Rust Reformer on critical or hard to reach areas, Blast on a couple of heavy coats of Summit epoxy primer, Hit it with a couple of heavy coats of your (BTW, that's a neat color,) hopefully Summit single stage urethane paint and regardless if there is some orange peel and a few runs, It will look fantastic and boost your project into the "I can finish this" stage . Minor details..wiring, Motor, clutch etc etc etc etc etc, screw the unnecessary mods from this point on just get it together with the simplest parts...matching trans and transfer etc. Don't worry about the wife driving it , just get it up and running. Embellishments can come later. You gotta drive your Land Cruiser! Sorry...sermon over.

Pistons, Pistions, Pistons........

First set that was ordered only 1 was sent because that's all they had. Second set was ordered from different vendor. Cannot use them because they were flat top and mine are domed. Then he called Mahle............around $250 each. Then he called every place he has ever done business with and a little hole in the wall parts house supposedly had a NOS set. They said they were glad to get rid of them. Been setting on shelf forever. I told him if these pistons were not correct just to scrap the engine and I will buy a running 2F. Wife told me not to tell her how much money I am spending. She said it will spoil the enjoyment of driving it.

Painted the dash today. First time to use a HVLP gun. Thought I would try one. The harbor freight purple gun gets good reviews on several web sites so I bought one. Have a run on the dash so it looks like I should use the fast reducer/activator. I am used to Dupont paint and a Binks #7 gun and this sprays a lot different. Guess I should go to YouTube and watch a few videos on HVLP spraying.

Last edited:
Picked up a couple large bolt pattern differential flanges. One needed a spedi-sleeve. Now the drivetrain should be complete. The engine, still waiting for pistons or might just buy a running 2F. Next week I will start to assemble the dash. Wiring, pedals, gauges, dash pad and switches then finished. Need to rebuild the heater boxes and seats. Have looked at just buying a pair of Procar 90 seats, I think that's the number. Probably cheaper than getting my original bench redone. Interior should be finished after that. Need the rain gutter for the top, rear flares, tires and that should get it in running and driving condition, I think.

Last edited:
Been blasting the top sides. First rust I found. Also a bit of minor pitting but mostly mint original metal. Will sand the outsides then epoxy primer. Thinking about leaving the original green paint on the inside. Gonna be a multi-color jalopy

Last edited:
The engine has been setting for months at the machine shop. So I called them today for an update. Talked to one of the guys that work there and he had no idea what's going on. Told him to just put it in the scrap pile and I will buy a running engine. He said oh no we wont do that, its too good to throw it away. I ask, has any work been done? Has the parts arrived yet? When will it be finished? His reply, I don't know, you need to talk to the boss. I ask where is he at. His reply, well he went to the lake early today.

The engine has been setting for months at the machine shop. So I called them today for an update. Talked to one of the guys that work there and he had no idea what's going on. Told him to just put it in the scrap pile and I will buy a running engine. He said oh no we wont do that, its too good to throw it away. I ask, has any work been done? Has the parts arrived yet? When will it be finished? His reply, I don't know, you need to talk to the boss. I ask where is he at. His reply, well he went to the lake early today.
It sounds like the guy retired but fogot to tell his employees and clients. Just to keep up aperence he jumps in every now and then.

It sounds like the guy retired but fogot to tell his employees and clients. Just to keep up aperence he jumps in every now and then.

I cannot say much because he is a friend of a friend and I am getting a huge discount. Just a bit frustrating since it has been at his place so long.

I cannot say much because he is a friend of a friend and I am getting a huge discount. Just a bit frustrating since it has been at his place so long.
Discounts are nice but they cost a lot when they start slowing you down.
This is why I try to do as much as I can by myself. I like to learn and keep control, it does take longer, is more expensive but I get to keep the tools and things are done when I want them to be done.

Discounts are nice but they cost a lot when they start slowing you down.
This is why I try to do as much as I can by myself. I like to learn and keep control, it does take longer, is more expensive but I get to keep the tools and things are done when I want them to be done.

With me being stuck at work so many hours I only have a few hours a week to do things at home. So I have no choice but to get someone else to do work on the 40. My original plan was to have it done by May, well that day has come and gone. Now I am thinking spring.

With me being stuck at work so many hours I only have a few hours a week to do things at home. So I have no choice but to get someone else to do work on the 40. My original plan was to have it done by May, well that day has come and gone. Now I am thinking spring.
I know what you mean, for me it is about the work. I don't care if it takes 10 years. I have my shop 2 min. walk from my house. I can go spend a few hours and leave it as is. Its more therapy from work.

Last week and next week I will be working double shifts:cry::cry:. Wife says that's good since I am getting so many boxes of parts. She said don't tell me how much you are spending. I like that:cheers:. I can say that the vendors on here and individual people I have bought things from has been excellent experiences. Not much else has happened to the 40 other than getting parts. I have given up hope to get the engine rebuilt anytime soon. So I have bought a 2F and will install it. Might actually get it running by this fall o_O

Well today I did a rare thing, I let someone have my double shift. Worked on installing the wiring harness. Added a couple extra wires for future A/C install. Need to weld bracket on t-case for 4X4 dash light. I changed the headlight switch to the later style. I should be able to dim my dash lights now. Had to do a bit of grinding on my brake pedal bracket for switch clearance. I sanded and primed the hardtop sides. Put NOS weatherstrip on the glass. I ordered the large side glass from Toyota and they are tinted. The rest of my glass is original but it's clear. So it's going to be a bit different.

Bought an engine from @JRGanschow was shipped yesterday. Mine is without the trans. Will give it a good wash, remove all smog, change oil, prime engine, install my new @Trollhole carb and dist, install my trans and t-case then install it in the 40. Hopefully it runs well. Can I actually be that close to being able to drive it? No, still need to install brakes, brake lines, fuel lines, finish wiring, install new rain gutter and then final body assembly. Still will be later this year at best.

Last edited:
I'd throw the motor in and take it for a short drive... you don't really need brakes ;)

update on the engine..............:popcorn:

All machining has been done. Almost had to call the ambulance when I was told how much it was. Still need a few things to get before the assembly can start. Thinking about an oil cooler, new oil pan, polishing a 2F valve cover and maybe powder coating a couple things. So it will be probably a couple of months before that happens. Do not know if I will install it or put it in the house since its gold plated. I did buy a 2F to install because I did not believe this engine would ever get done (still don't). The "new-Used" 2 F will be installed on Sunday right after a good garage cleaning. Told the guys at work tonight that if I don't take the 40 to Finland when I retire I will send it to the crusher because there is no way I can come close to getting 50% of my money back. So if I am losing that much I might as well lose all of it.

Everything has been cleaned and blasted, mains were line honed, block bored .030, block decked, Crankshaft turned .020, crankshaft was nitrided, full balancing, all new GM LS valve train (valves, springs etc), head ported, head was decked, custom pistons but the blanks were off the shelf if I understood correctly. The camshaft is bent so it gets to go back to Delta Cams to get fixed. If my wife finds out how much this cost I probably will be single. Its bad enough that I am thinking about divorcing myself.

Note to self, never and I repeat NEVER tell someone to do the works on an F engine.

Wife and I were talking today and I jokingly told her the 40 was going to be crushed when we move. Sometimes I am just not the sharpest person:bang:. There was a silver lining to all of this, she does not want to know how much I spendo_O, that's good, real good. Says it would take the fun out of driving the 40. Now on to more thinking and planning. What needs to be changed or improved for the cold temps it will be in or might be in I should say. Block heater, both factory heaters working, seat heaters, oil cooler??? Have been reading about them and they are almost not a cooler but a temperature control for the oil. In cold weather it should warm the oil up quicker and that's would be a good thing where we are going. Still not decided on the lunchbox locker. With all the snow and ice I just don't know how it will behave. The rear heater probably will get modified to be a 2 speed fan. With the darkness of winter more lights would be nice. Looking at @Coolerman web site and he has the fog light harness. Might try to build off of that for factory looking lights. So it looks like I will need to add an auxiliary fuse box for the seat heaters and lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom