Builds My 40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Europe is a mess right now. Finish it and drive it accross AMERICA!

Just think northern Finland and retire at age 55-60. Stay in US I have to work until 67. Already have cottage there to live in.

Really??
Did you check the news lately? I would be more worried about what is happening on your side of the planet.

Finland is a nice and stable country with a high living standard, good choice for retirement.

No offense intended. Finland is a good choice. We do have our problems. To each their own!

Set the body back on frame. Used energy suspension mounts. Had on nut plate I had to modify. The nut was welded across the hole. Used die grinder to enlarge the hole so I could get the bolt in. Now to reseal the trans and transfer case.

Last edited:
Finland mentioned!!
Welcome, and feel free to bring your 40 with you, not too many gasser 40's on this side of the country.

:beer::cheers:

Would love to bring it but have no place to work on it. We are planning on putting most of our things in storage and rent until we settle on a place to retire. Wife is from Joensuu originally. I have been looking around the Salo area.

I stumbled around the web site. Unfortunately I know very little Finnish. My wife taught Finnish language in Espoo. I have found it to be very difficult but know the two most important words.
Vaimo pomo :D

I think you like to tinker a lot therefore when you retire having the 40 would be a great idea to keep you busy.

Maybe sit down with the wife and discuss your plans :) and take it from there...

I think you like to tinker a lot therefore when you retire having the 40 would be a great idea to keep you busy.

Maybe sit down with the wife and discuss your plans :) and take it from there...

My wife and I have talked some about what we might take with us. She is not against taking the 40 but we have so much stuff its impossible to take all of it. We have a compact tractor with several attachments and she said we need to take that with us. That will be in storage along with a lot of tools.

Have been working on the wiring. Using @Coolerman wiring schematics to sort out whats what. Looking at changing the alternator to the internal regulator. Found part of a rear harness but someone cut the taillight wires off. My dash has the hole for a 4X4 indicator and the wiring is there. Problem is how to mount a switch on the transfer case. Still searching but have not found anybody that has done it. Engine is still at the machine shop. Cannot complain since he is giving me a huge discount and I have plenty of other things to do before I am ready to install the engine assembly. Still debating if I will change the gears in the transfer case. If we do take it to Finland there will be changes to the build, 3.70's, seal it up to keep the cold out, swap the intake and exhaust manifolds so I can add heat to the carb and probably more. Depending on how motivated I am it might be running later this year. Still wondering if I should do a complete paint job or put it together and drive it. Guess I can always paint it later.

After looking through a bunch of boxes for parts I realized that the only thing from my original purchase is the doors. Everything else I have bought in the last couple of years. My original 40 body and chassis was so messed up. Being young and full of ideas and no money I put 3/4 ton Chevy axles under it, huge tires with a homemade lift kit. Installed several different engines and transmissions. It was nothing but a cobbled up mess. Don't think it was very safe. That might be why I never drove it.

Worked on wiring a bit today. Have original 72 harness but the starter and coil wires were cut. While looking through more of my crap a couple days ago I found a 74 donor harness. The way the wires are located it appears that the 72 coil is mounted on engine and 74 on passenger fender. The starter wires are located in different places also. The 74 is closer to starter. Will need to decide which style I install them in. Will be using a @Trollhole distributor so all I need is switched 12 power. Using a gear reduction starter and need to change the plastic connector. Now to order the connectors and harness tape. The main harness should be finished after that. Will need to get the harness installed before working on adapting the cut up 74 rear harness.

Last edited:
Working on wiring. Installed an engine today. Will be modifying the harness a bit. Only need one wire for the gear reduction starter and need a keyed on wire for the @Trollhole carb. Will be moving the alternator to passenger side. Will be using the internal regulator alternator from a 79-up. Still debating about mounting a switch on the transfer case for 4x4 light.

Started to add up what I have invested so far. Stopped at 10K. Very possible it might be our daily driver if it gets finished. Gonna be hot without A/C though.

Last edited:
My wife and I have been talking about the 40. Looks like it will be built up as a beater. Dents and scratches won't matter. We live in a couple hundred acres of forest and need something to drive through there.

Now back to the build. Not much happening. Back to working 80+ hours a week.

The machine shop called on Friday and left a message. Tried to call back then and today. No answer. Message was, theres a problem with your motor call me back as soon as possible.

Time to put the 350ci GM in there or better yet the 292 GM big six cyl. Cheap rebuilds if necessary. Looks like you almost got it ready to go otherwise! Just a few more small details! :steer:

With all the hours you work surely you have some big time Paid time off built up! Take a month or more off and get it on!

Last edited:
With all the hours you work surely you have some big time Paid time off built up! Take a month or more off and get on it!

NOPE, I do not get any extra time off. I work around an average of 3000 hours a year.

I got smart or dumb don't know which it was. It was set up for a SBC. I got rid of that and went back to the 6 cylinder 3 speed. Then I changed to a 4 speed so my wife would have an easier time to drive it. Was thinking is she started to drive it and likes it we might take it with us. Will see what the motor issue is on Wednesday I guess. The worst would be buying a 2F to install. Things should settle down at work soon. Will have a couple of months of a normal life. If I stay motivated it should be running soon. Paint and interior might be pretty sparse though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom