Builds My 40 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This project is about as far as I will take it. Still needs a few things done to it.

Waiting for the correct tail lights to come in. Will swap them out.

Fuel gauge does not work, has a new Toyota sending unit in it so I will look at the gauge next.

Steering is a bit loose. Might explore a ps conversion since I have almost everything to do it.

Brake and clutch hydraulics need to be pressure bled.

Install both heaters and a shut off valve.

Couple of electrical things need completed. Need to install a couple more grounds, adjust brake switch and install the wiring for the rear heater.

Bought a set of tires from craigslist this evening. Not too bad for $100. Will go by the tire shop tomorrow and see how busy he is. Will be installing them on the chrome spoke wheels. They are the only set that matches.

After tidying up everything I hope to sell. Might put it on BaT or ebay sometime. If that does not work I guess it will be parted out.

Then double check everything so its ready for the road.

That's just about it.

Rusty 72.

Last edited:
This is probably my last post. Tires have been installed. It runs good but the steering is loose. Might install the ps someday. A couple of days working on finishing up the small things and it's done. Not having any luck in selling complete so I was thinking about parting it out. The amount of money I could get for the stuff that I can ship by US mail would not be worth my time. I am starting to make an ad for either ebay or BaT. If I can't get it sold before we move it will be scraped.

Last edited:
I think his goals were overcome by frustration.

With so much trouble and frustration it is understandable but depressing also. Have a great retirement it is great time and you will enjoy it.
JP

You could always post a For Sale ad here on the MUD classifieds.
Have had one for several months. A couple of guys interested but that's it. Its listed at 8K guess its too high.

@pardion and I saw what happened to the valve cover. :eek:
Was $50 plus shipping and got a couple messages saying how the guy was doing me a favor for selling it to him for $40 shipped. That did not end well.

I think his goals were overcome by frustration.
The 2 year engine rebuild that turned into a nightmare killed any possible enjoyment. Twice during the engine machining/rebuilding I said to just put the engine in the scrap pile and I will buy another one. Looking back I should of bought a running 2F and installed it. The outcome would of been different.

It's kind of depressing to read how this turned out.
I tried my best to stay on the bright side of the build. The cam is the straw that broke the camels back.

So what was your goal with the 40? In the beginning you said you've been working on it for 30 years. You bought it 30 years ago to get it running and to sell it for profit?
Sometime during the build I got an idea of taking it with us to Finland. Thought fuel injection would be good in the extreme cold and with different drivers.

Around the time I got out of high school I bought a rusty 40 and it never ran. I shoved it in an old chicken house and it set there for years. I got the brilliant idea to build it again. Well about the only useable parts were the doors that had been stored in the garage. Ended up buying 4 or 5 different 40's for parts. Now for the profit, engine cost probably somewhere around 6K, 2K in new parts still in the Toyota box then add everything else in and the 8K is about half of what I have spent.

With so much trouble and frustration it is understandable but depressing also. Have a great retirement it is great time and you will enjoy it.
JP
We are going to Finland in about a month and the wife is wanting to look at a couple different houses. I think this is one of them and its rare to find a big garage there.

Huittinen, Vampula: 4h,k,s, 106,0 m², 279 000 € - Etuovi.com

20190329_193457.jpg

It's about 45 miles north of Turku.
That looks like a nice area to live.
I’m surprised the property isn’t more expensive.

We took the 40 for a last spin the other day. It runs good but I did notice it was not near as peppy with the new Mellings cam. The way it runs now vs before I am wondering if the Delta cam was a 262 cam instead of the 250S.

My thoughts, it runs great, ride is firm and steering needs attention. With a worn out steering box and needing an alignment 35-40 mph is a handful. The transmission and t-case shift great. Engine starts and runs like any new car. There is no extra vibration or unusual noise. I can say that with 100% confidance that the engine and drivetrain are solid.

This build has been quite an adventure. Everything went ok except for the engine. Looking back I should of bought a running 2F or just rebuilt the engine myself. Now I am thinking what my next project might be. Been tossing around the idea of a 1940's Chevy or Ford. Install a modern fi engine and auto transmission add some disc brakes, a/c and drive it next spring. That sounds too easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom