Builds My 40 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jeep,

We bought a new jeep in 2014. Only owned it for about 6 months but during that time it spent 62 days in the shop. I thought it was appropriate with all the issues I am having with the engine.

2 is a common occurrence for this engine.

2 sets main bearings
2 sets rod bearings
2 head gaskets
2 sets valve springs
2 pan gaskets
2 side cover gaskets
2 valve covers
2 years to get rebuilt
2 water pumps
2 clutch fans
2 oil pans
2 camshafts
2 sets of lifters
2 cam gears, still debating about this.
2 low of vacuum for tbi

I wonder why I am so disgusted.

Jeep,

We bought a new jeep in 2014. Only owned it for about 6 months but during that time it spent 62 days in the shop. I thought it was appropriate with all the issues I am having with the engine.

As a guy who's had a CJ-7, a YJ and a cherokee this is relatively accurate. The YJ honestly didn't let me down though, but I will NEVER own a CJ or an XJ Cherokee again. I'm sticking with my Toyota. :)

As a guy who's had a CJ-7, a YJ and a cherokee this is relatively accurate. The YJ honestly didn't let me down though, but I will NEVER own a CJ or an XJ Cherokee again. I'm sticking with my Toyota. :)
Had the same experience with a Cherokee, always something wrong with it and I always had the feeling it would break if I used it a little harder.

I hope things are good now with your 40 and it will be all down hill for the build.

Had the same experience with a Cherokee, always something wrong with it and I always had the feeling it would break if I used it a little harder.

I hope things are good now with your 40 and it will be all down hill for the build.

Yeah I’ve done more to it than I should’ve the past couple months. Capable vehicles and 4.0 and AW4 are solid but everything else just breaks. If I had to own another Jeep I’d get a YJ again...or buy my old one back lol.

Well its apart, again. Delta Cams has been fantastic to work with. They said send the cam in and they will open the lobe centers a couple of degrees. Still thinking about just installing a stock 2F cam.

Last edited:
Before when you posted low vac numbers you said valves were set to .014 hot. Shouldn’t the intake valves be more like .008?

Deltas 250S reground cam specs call for .014 on both intake and exhaust. I did go to .016 hot and after talking with Delta, a loose .019. Easy explanation, with setting the valve lash larger it makes the cam smaller. If the rest of the engine is sound that should increase vacuum and it did. If I had been running a carb there would not be any problem.

After thinking it over, I just bought a new stock 2F copy ITM camshaft and lifters. Seriously was considering buying a new ITM cam gear. I just can't see the new toyota cam gear being manufactured wrong.

Carb is less dependent on vacuum than GM's tbi fuel injection.

Not true. The passive fuel management of carburetion is 100% dependent on vacuum. An Aisan carb will not be happy with less than 17” of vacuum either.

I did not read this whole thread, just the last few pages. What distributor are you using?

Not true. The passive fuel management of carburetion is 100% dependent on vacuum. An Aisan carb will not be happy with less than 17” of vacuum either.

I did not read this whole thread, just the last few pages. What distributor are you using?

Using a modified 3fe computer controlled dist.

I have no experience with the Aisan carb but a Holley can be tuned to work with low vacuum.

Thought about this a little more.
  1. Your compression numbers are actually a little low for a freshly rebuilt motor.
  2. Low compression is often the source of poor vacuum.
  3. Running rich will not help the rings to finish seating.
  4. I have seen more than one engine ruined (rings never fully seat) while people were sorting out fuel and ignition problems.
  5. Break in is NOT the time to be dealing with multiple unknown quantities.
  6. I have suggested before in this forum that for start up/ break in, it would be REALLY useful if the OP could borrow a carb and dizzy in known working order for break in, regardless of whether they ultimately intend to run fool infection on their rig.

How many minutes/hours of run time do you have on the engine?

I agree with Mark about startup/break in borrowing a working carb/dizzy for break in. The more changes/unknowns you have on on a rebuild, the greater chance you have for problems to crop up and run in circles chasing them. Definitely get those rings seated quickly. Pull a trailer or a load or something to make sure they are set.

I will say, I had Mark rebuild my carb on my old cruiser over 10years or so years ago and it was excellent. Started and ran as easily in the cold as my Fuel Injected Chevy FJ40.

Good luck man. I've got a diesel rebuild that I'm nearing the put back together phase, and I'm a little worried about running into a situation like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom